Got Your Back
|"Got Your Back"|
|Single by T.I. featuring Keri Hilson|
|from the album No Mercy|
|Released||June 1, 2010|
|Genre||Hip hop, R&B|
|Length||4:24 (album version)
3:45 (radio edit)
|Label||Grand Hustle, Atlantic|
|Writer(s)||Clifford Harris, Keri Hilson, Aldrin Davis|
|T.I. singles chronology|
"Got Your Back" is a song by American hip hop recording artist T.I.. The song features American R&B singer-songwriter Keri Hilson, with whom T.I. wrote the DJ Toomp-produced track with. Preceeded by the buzz singles "I'm Back" and "Yeah Ya Know (Takers)", "Got Your Back" is the first official single released from T.I.'s seventh studio album, No Mercy (2010) and can be found as a bonus track on the album and on T.I.'s mixtape, Fuck a Mixtape (2010). "Got Your Back" was certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America on December 15, 2010.
In an interview with Jamie Foxx, when asked about the song, T.I. said, "[It's] basically just me showing my appreciation to all the ladies who got they man’s back in the world, acknowledging the one who had my back and acknowledging the ones that got they [sic] man’s back at the same time."
Composition and critical reception 
A sample of "Got Your Back", featuring vocals from T.I. and Hilson.
|Problems listening to this file? See media help.|
The song features a "bright", "bouncy" electro/synth beat. Hilson sings the hook, while T.I. raps the verses and harmonizes in the song's melodic bridge. According to Robbie Daw of Idolator the song's intro is reminiscent of Hilson's "Knock You Down". Although stating the song fell a little short, a Chicago Now writer called it a "solid, feel-good summer joint", and commented, "All the elements are here for this one to blow up with the masses: a catchy, repetitive hook from Keri Hilson, a poppy, feel-good production, and some memorable messages from T.I."
According to DJBooth, the song "essentially attempts to recreate the success of 'Whatever You Like', calling the Hilson-T.I. pairing, "A combination like that could only mean one thing; we’ve got a hit on our hands." Ed Easton Jr. of WNOW-FM said the song takes T.I. back to "Whatever You Like", commenting, "Keri Hilson adds a perfect mix of pop and passion to the hook of the song, as it is a bit of a dance track that all the ladies and some guys can vibe to this summer." UK SoulCulture thought that releasing a "song for the streets and song for the ladies" was trying to recreate the vibe of his last album, but wasn't sure if the latest set lived up to par. Andrew Martin of Prefix Magazine was less than impressed with the song, calling Hilson's hook and T.I.'s sing-song moments "cringe worthy."
Music video 
The music video was directed by Chris Robinson. It was filmed on June 30, 2010, and premiered on July 22, 2010. It features cameo appearances from T.I.'s wife Tameka "Tiny" Cottle, and actors Lance Gross, Keith Robinson, and Jill Marie Jones.
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||21|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||48|
|German Black (Deutsche Trend)||6|
|Irish Singles Chart||33|
|Dutch Singles Chart||81|
|UK R&B Chart||19|
|UK Singles Chart||45|
|US Billboard Hot 100||38|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||10|
|US Rap Songs (Billboard)||4|
- "New Music: T.I. f/ Keri Hilson – ‘Got Your Back’". Rap-Up. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- "T.I. - Got Your Back". DJBooth. DJBooth, LLC. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- "T.I. 'Got Your Back' f/ Keri Hilson leads new mainstream update". Chicago Now. Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- Daw, Robbie. "T.I. Discusses Lady Gaga Collab “Lick It,” Serves Up New Single “Got Your Back”". Idolator. Buzzmedia. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- "Keri Hilson Has T.I.’s Back". WNOW-FM. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- "T.I. – “Yeah Ya Know (Takers)” x “Got Your Back” ft Keri Hilson (New Music)". UK SoulCulture. Soulculture.co.uk. 2010-05-26. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- Martin, Andrew. ""Got Your Back" f. Keri Hilson". Prefix Magazine. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- "Video: T.I. f/ Keri Hilson – ‘Got Your Back’". Rap-Up. 2010-07-22. Retrieved 2010-07-22.
- "UltraTop Belgian Charts". Ultratip. ULTRATOP & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2010-09-13.
- "T.I. Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for T.I.. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- "MTV Deutsche Black Charts". MTV Germany. MTV Networks. Retrieved 2010-07-03.
- "Discography T.I.". Irish Charts. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2010-09-23.
- "dutchcharts.nl". Dutch Singles. Hung Medien/hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2010-09-23.
- "Archive Chart". The Official UK Charts Company. Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- "T.I. and Keri Hilson 'Got Your Back' World Charts". Acharts. Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- "T.I. Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for T.I.. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- "T.I. Album & Song Chart History" Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for T.I.. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- "T.I. Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Rap Songs for T.I.. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- RIAA - Recording Industry Association of America
- Grein, Paul (2011-08-24). "Week Ending Aug. 21, 2011: Rolling To A Record". Yahoo! Chart Watch. new.music.yahoo.com. Retrieved August 25, 2011.