November 20, 1872|
|Died||December 26, 1945(aged 73)|
|Place of burial||Veteran's Home Cemetery Port Orchard, Washington|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
1st North Dakota Volunteer Infantry
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Gotfred Jensen (November 20, 1872 in Denmark – December 26, 1945) was a United States Army soldier who received the Medal of Honor for actions during the Philippine-American War. He was a member of Young's Scouts and was one of thirteen Scouts awarded the Medal between 16 and May 19, 1899. Sergeant Jensen is buried in Veteran's Home Cemetery in Port Orchard, Washington.
Medal of Honor citation
Rank and Organization: Private, Company D, 1st North Dakota Volunteer Infantry. Place and Date: At San Miguel de Mayumo, Luzon, Philippine Islands, May 13, 1899. Entered Service At: Devils Lake, N. Dak. Birth: Denmark. Date of Issue: June 6, 1906.
With 11 other scouts, without waiting for the supporting battalion to aid them or to get into a position to do so, charged over a distance of about 150 yards and completely routed about 300 of the enemy, who were in line and in a position that could only be carried by a frontal attack.
- "Gotfred Jensen". Claim to Fame: Medal of Honor recipients. Find a Grave. Retrieved December 2, 2007.
- "Gotfred Jensen, Medal of Honor recipient". Philippine Insurrection. United States Army Center of Military History. June 8, 2009. Retrieved December 2, 2007.
- "Gravesite for Gotfred Jensen". C. Douglas Sterner. Retrieved December 2, 2007.
- "Medal of Honor citation for Gotfred Jensen". C. Douglas Sterner. Retrieved December 2, 2007.
- "Prairie Public.Org: Radio: Radio Home at www.prairiepublic.org Prairie Public programs". Retrieved September 29, 2010.[dead link]
|This article about a North Dakota politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to the military of Denmark is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to the United States Army is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|