|Type of site||News, culture|
|Created by||Jake Dobkin|
|Alexa rank||11,570 (August 2012[update])|
The namesake blog, Gothamist, focused on New York City, was founded in 2003, with launches in other cities shortly thereafter. Other blogs operated by the company as of May 2013 include LAist, DCist, Chicagoist, SFist, Austinist, and Seattlest in the United States, as well as Shanghaiist internationally.
Canadian blog Torontoist was launched by the American company, but was transferred to the locally-owned Ink Truck Media in April 2009, while retaining its "-ist" name and remaining affiliated with the Gothamist network. In March 2011, Torontoist was acquired from Ink Truck Media by Canadian media giants St. Joseph Communications.[need quotation to verify] In a similar fashion, in 2010 Londonist was transferred to the London-based startup LDN Creative.
Gothamist was co-founded by publisher Jake Dobkin and editor Jen Chung. Dobkin and Chung are also credited as co-founders and as publisher and executive editor, respectively, of all other Gothamist-owned blogs.
The flagship Gothamist blog has received a number of awards and commendations, including six Bloggies nominations. It was named a "Forbes Favorite", and a BusinessWeek "Best of the Web". In 2007, Gothamist was named blog of the year by Wired magazine and given a Wired Rave Award.
- "Gothamist.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2012-08-02.
- "media kit". Gothamist.
- Torontoist Is Here To Stay, Torontoist, 8 April 2009
- The Globe and Mail (Toronto) http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/torontoist-bought-by-magazine-company/article1942040/
|url=missing title (help).
- "Londonist And LDN Join Forces". Londonist. 11 June 2010
- "City Blogs". Web Site Reviews (Forbes). Retrieved 10 January 2008.
- See slide number 4 of 13 in Joseph Pisani, Special Report: Best of the Web: Your Favorite Bloggers: BusinessWeek.com readers' Top 12 Choices from the Idiosyncratic World of Blogging", BusinessWeek, accessed January 10, 2008 (slideshow).
- Sonia Zjawinski, "The 2007 Rave Awards", Wired, April 2007, accessed January 10, 2008.