Archipelago of Gothenburg
The archipelago of Gothenburg (Swedish: Göteborgs skärgård) comprises northern and southern archipelagoes. The southern archipelago is part of Gothenburg municipality located in the province of Västergötland while the northern archipelago is Öckerö municipality, located in the province of Bohuslän.
Trafikverket has ferries from Lilla Varholmen to the northern archipelago. Some of the islands are interconnected by bridges. Southern archipelago ferries go from Saltholmen, plus a freight ferry from Fiskebäck.
The main islands of the Northern Gothenburg archipelago are:
The Southern Gothenburg archipelago lies off the coast of Gothenburg, Sweden's second-largest city. It has 5,000 permanent and another 6,000 summer residents. The archipelago is completely car free. Transportations is carried out by means of cycles, delivery mopeds, electric cars and ferries.
Sagas where the location appears:
One of the islands, Brännö, is described as an important location for fairs in the Laxdaela saga, and it is also considered to be the likely location of Breca and the Brondings of the Anglo-Saxon poems Widsith and Beowulf.
- Köpstadsö is often called Kössö. It is a small island with narrow footpaths. Not even mopeds are allowed here. The name of the island implies trading.
- Styrsö: during the 1830s the Öberg family established a guesthouse there. This was the start of a bathing resort, which expanded rapidly with the start of steamboats in 1867.
- Donsö is an important fishing and ship-owning community. The harbour is the center of the island. It is surrounded by 20th century fishing facilities.
- Vargö has been a nature reserve since 1986. The varied sea landspace offers a diversity of flora. It is a good place to see razorbills, woodland birds, gulls and eiders.
- Rivö fjord, the estuary of the Göta älv
- Hið íslenzka Biblíufélag (The Icelandic Bible Society): «Örvar-Odds saga» (original text in Old Norse)
- Hið íslenzka Biblíufélag: «Bósa saga ok Herrauðs» (Old Norse)
- Hið íslenzka Biblíufélag: «Þorsteins saga Víkingssonar» (Old Norse)
- Southern Gothenburg Archipelago (Swedish)
- Go Boating: Southern Gothenburg Archipelago English: lang and (Swedish)