Date & Place of Birth
June 26, 1943, Jodhpur, India
M.Sc. (1963), Ph.D. (1966), D.Sc. (Honoris Causa)
Academic/Professional Positions Held
- Research Associate, Michigan State and the Ohio State Universities, USA,1967-69
- Lecturer & Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, 1969-77
- Professor, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad 1977- 1998, Founder Dean 1977-86
- Vice-Chancellor, University of Hyderabad, 1994-98
- Hon. Professor, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, 1990 - 2009
- Srinivasa Ramanujan Research Professor, Indian National Science Academy, 1992-97
- Professor, Department of Organic Chemistry, Indian Institute of Science, 1998-2005
- Director, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, 1998-2005
- CSIR Bhatnagar Fellow, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, 2005-2010
- Chairman, National Accreditation and Assessment Council (NAAC), 2006- 2012
- National Research Professor, 2009 –
- Chancellor, Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad, 2011-
- Chanecellor, University of Allahabad, 2012-
- Chairman, BoG, Indian Institute of Technology Jodhpur
He has authored more than 400 research papers. He has received the Trieste prize.
On one occasion, he was scheduled to deliver a lecture at the University of Florida, but he was refused a visa by the US government. The reason cited was the heightened security requirements since the September 11 attacks and because Dr. Goverdhan Mehta had a history of involvement with chemical engineering, a field which had applications in chemical warfare and bomb making. The incident created outrage among the Indian scientific community and was a "humiliating" experience for Dr. Goverdhan Mehta.The actions taken by the US government in this regard were strongly criticized by American scientists.
- He is a recipient of the Indian Government's Padma Sri Award.
- He has received the French award of Légion d'honneur.
- In 1995, he became the first Indian scientist to receive the Alexander von Humboldt Research Award.
- He has received H.K. Firodia Award for Science & Technology.
- He is the recipient of Shanti Swaroop Bhatnagar Award in Chemical Sciences.
- He is the Chairman, Board of Governors, Indian Institute of Technology Jodhpur
- He has been the president of Indian National Science Academy.
- He is a fellow of the Royal Society.
- He is a member of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
- He is the President of IUPAC.
- He was director of the Indian Institute of Science (1998–2005) and vice chancellor of the University of Hyderabad (1994–1998).
- He has been appointed as National Research Professor by the Indian government.
- He is one the board of directors of the Institute of Life Sciences.
- "Prof. Goverdhan Mehta". Sphaerapharma.com. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- "Scientist's Visa Denial Sparks Outrage in India". Washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- Silverstein, Richard (2006-02-25). "‘The Closing of the American Mind:’ Denying Visas to Foreign Intellectuals Tikun-Olam Tikun Olam-תיקון עולם". Richardsilverstein.com. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- Mehta, Goverdhan (Oct 28, 2006). "Stereochemical Reassignment of Mehta and Kundu's Spiculoic Acid A Analogue". Organic Letters 8 (24): 5537. doi:10.1021/ol062361a.
- Curly, Arrow. "Spiculoic Acid". www.curlyarrow.blogspot.in. Retrieved Nov 12, 2006.
- Totally, Synthetic. "Spiculoic Acid A Controversy". www.totallysynthetic.com. Retrieved Nov 15, 2006.
- Press Office, Michael Schwarz (2003-06-23). "University of Heidelberg". Uni-heidelberg.de. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- Goverdhan Mehta. "Goverdhan Mehta: Executive Profile & Biography - Businessweek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- "Building a nation of scientists". Rsc.org. 2007-06-13. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- "Goverdhan Mehta set to be National Research Professor - Indian Express". Archive.indianexpress.com. 2009-11-17. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- ":: Institute of Life Sciences ::". Ilsresearch.org. Retrieved 2014-05-17.