Government College of Technology, Coimbatore
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)|
|Government College of Technology, Coimbatore.|
Emblem of GCT Coimbatore
|Location||Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India
The Government College of Technology, Coimbatore (GCT) is an autonomous state-funded engineering college located in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India. It is a constituent college of Anna University of Technology, Coimbatore.
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 3 Student Associations
- 4 Student Activities
- 5 Fests
- 6 Hostels
- 7 Placements
- 8 Sports
- 9 Alumni
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
The Government College of Technology, Coimbatore was founded in 1945 as Arthur Hope College of Technology (named after Arthur Hope, 2nd Baron Rankeillour), under the patronage of the philanthropist Gopalswamy Doraiswamy Naidu (G.D. Naidu). The college was offered the offices, workshops, and hostels of National Electric Works for its facilities. In June 1950, the college moved to the present site of about 45 hectares on Thadagam Road, Coimbatore. In 1951, the college was renamed Government College of Technology (GCT) and was initially affiliated to the University of Madras, later to the Bharathiar University. Since the academic year 2001-2002, all undergraduate and postgraduate courses of GCT are affiliated to Anna University, Chennai.
GCT started offering Civil, Electrical, and Mechanical Engineering courses in 1951-52. The main building of the college was inaugurated by President Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan on October 8, 1959. The syllabus for engineering studies was revised and the five year semester system was introduced in the academic year 1968-69. Postgraduate degree courses in Structural Engineering (Civil) and Engineering Design (Mechanical) were started during 1971. Following the introduction of the 10+2 high-school education system, admission to the five-year B.E. degree course ceased from the academic year 1980-81 onward and the four-year B.E. degree courses began. In 1981, the college was granted autonomy for its civil and mechanical engineering postgraduate programs. Subsequently, in 1987, full autonomy for all programs was granted.
Since 2001, six new postgraduate courses have been started in various disciplines, in addition to a self-supporting course in Biotechnology at the undergraduate level.
The institute offers undergraduate courses leading to the degree of Bachelor of Engineering, in various fields. postgraduate courses award the Master of Engineering degree. Most departments also offer doctoral research opportunities.
Undergraduate students are admitted based on competitive student rankings in twelfth standard (higher secondary course) examination. The ranking and subsequent counseling are done by Anna University of Technology, Coimbatore.
Postgraduate students are typically selected based competitive rankings in either Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test (TANCET) or Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE).
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electronics and Instrumentation
- Information Technology
- Thermal Sciences
- Engineering Design
- Physical Education
- Physical Sciences
- Production Engineering
- Industrial Biotechnology
- Managerial Studies
- Applied Biotechnology and Pure Chemistry
- Environmental Engg & Public Health
- Biotech Forum (BF)
- Civil Engineering Association (CEA)
- Computer Science and Engineering & Information Technology Association (CSITA)
- Electrical, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering Association (EEEIEA)
- Electronics and Communication Engineering Association (ECEA)
- Mechanical Engineering Association (MEA)
- Production Engineering Association (PEA)
- Student Branch of IEEE
- ISTE chapter
- SAE Club
- Green Club GCT
- Science Club
- Fine arts club
- Rotaract Club
- Literary and Debating Society
- Tamil Mandram
- Student Journalist Council
Student Journalist Council
Student Journalist council (SJC), became official on 24 December 2013, with its main objective: to enhance and inculcate the spirit of journalism, photography and design in the college. Through optimized utilization of skill and enthusiasm of the students in the council, SJC publishes the periodical 'APERTURE-The Student e-Newsletter of GCT’. Being an impartial media, the e-Newsletter aims at furnishing as a verbal reference to the achievements, events, milestones and the culture of GCT on diverse platforms, that ultimately serves as an inspiration to the pupil of the institution.
The First edition of 'APERTURE-The Student e-Newsletter of GCT’ was launched on 21 February 2014 by Mr. Sivakumar Palaniappan, Founder & Chief Mentor - Mastering Mind Academy and e-launched by the incumbent Principal, Dr. V.Lakshmi Prabha. The occasion was graced by Dr. K.Manonmani, the Faculty coordinator of SJC, Dr. K.S.Amirthagadeswaran, the incumbent Head of the Mechanical Engineering Department and faculties of various departments of the college.
Student Research Foundation
Students' Research Foundation (SRF) - A new initiative by the incumbent Principal, Dr. V.Lakshmi Prabha to encourage novel ideas and to inculcate passion for research amongst the undergraduate students of the institution. It is established in honour of the Patron Emeritus Late Shri. G.D. Naidu (D.O.B March 23, 1893) whose hundred and twentieth birth anniversary falls on 2013. Eventually, SRF aims at building Techno-Entrepreneurs for the nation.
On October 5, 2013, Dr.Mylswamy Annadurai, an alumnus and renowned scientist - Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) inaugurated ‘Student Research Foundation’ and gave an inspiring talk on 'How to innovate?’ besides rewarding the winners of the Student Innovation Contest. Dr. V.Lakshmi Prabha, the Principal presided the function. Dr. R.Krishnan, former Director ADRIN, Hyderabad and Senior Research Adviser of GCT, Dr. T.Purusothaman, the Faculty Coordinator of SRF and faculties of various other departments also embellished the inaugural ceremony.
GCT's annual national level technical symposia provide opportunities for students to hone their technical skills and to publish their original works. The following symposia typically occur in the even semester (December to May) of the academic year.
- Elyzia - Biotechnology Association (BTA)
- Geofest - Civil Engineering Association (CEA)
- InfoQuest - Computer Science and Information Technology Association (CSITA)
- Nexus - Electronics and Communication Engineering Association (ECEA)
- Oracle - Electrical, Electronics, and Instrumentation Engineering Association (EEEIEA)
- PRAXIS -Department Of Production Engineering (DOPE)
- Technotryst - Mechanical Engineering Association (MEA)
- Prakriti-National Level Student Summit on Green Technologies & Sustainability-GREEN CLUB
- SANGAMAM - Official cultural festival of GCT
Seven hostel blocks are available for men and two hostel blocks are available for women to accommodate a total of 1500 students. The hostel is managed by a hostel committee including members from students and faculty. The hostels are run on a non-profit basis.
- Palaru (First Year)
- Ponnaiyaru (First Year)
- Kauveri (First Year)
- Bhavani (Second Year)
- Vaigai (Third Year)
- Thamiraparani (Fourth Year)
- Vellaru (Fourth Year)
GCT's Placement and Training Cell opens the campus recruitment season for all undergraduate and postgraduate students in the beginning of their final year at the institution. Multinational and national companies are typically invited by the Placement Officer (PO) and the departmental Placement Representatives (PRs), and mutually convenient dates are scheduled for the recruitment process.
GCT hosts soccer, cricket, hockey, baseball and athletics fields, tennis courts, volleyball courts, basketball courts, ball badminton and a well equipped gym. Some of the notable sports loved by GCTians are:
- Ball Badminton (2005 TIES Bronze)
- Hockey (2004 gold-1,bronze-1)
- Table Tennis
- Kho Kho
- Hand ball( 2013 Interzone Gold)
The GCT Alumni Association actively communicates with GCTians, and organizes an annual alumni meeting. The association recently succeeded in launching an effort to unite GCTians around the world for the cause of building an exclusive Alumni Center in the GCT Campus.
Notable alumni include:
- Mylswamy Annadurai, Project Director of Chandrayaan-1 and Program Director of IRS&SSS (Indian Remote Sensing & Small, Science and Student Satellites), Indian Space Research Organization 
- N.Valarmathi, Project Director of RISAT-1, Indian Space Research Organization
- S. Meganathan, Founder & Chairman, Rajalakshmi Institutions, Chennai.
- A. Kalanidhi, Former Vice Chancellor, Anna University.
- M. Ananthakrishnan, Former Vice Chancellor, Anna University
- Prof. V.Mahalingam, Former Director of Technical Education
- B. B. Sundaresan, Former Vice Chancellor, Madras University
- Dr.V.Lakshmi Prabha Principal Government College of Technology, Coimbatore.
- Dr. T. R. Natesan, Former Vice Chancellor, Gandhigram Deemed University
- N.A. Gnanam, Former Director of Technical Education
- V. K. Jayakudi, IAS, Director of Technical Education
- Dr. A. Balakrishnan. A, Former Principal, GCT
- Dr. C. Sivanandan, Former Principal, BIT Sathy
- Prof. V. Ganesan, IIT, Chennai
- Ashok Varadhan Shetty, IAS
- Narayanan Desukudi, IAS
- K.Gnanadesikan, IAS, Finance Secretary, TN Government
- Ravi Arumugam, IPS
- J.Balakumaran, Head of Operations, Conergy Energy Systems Private Ltd, Bangalore
- Baskaran, CEO, Impulse Soft
- Thamarai Tamil poet, lyricist, writer and former journalist.
- Thomas Rathnam.B.E, BGL, Film Music Composer, Writer, Publisher & Industrialist,
- Satish Dharmaraj, Red Point ventures,USA.
- Chellamuthu Kuppusamy, Author, Columnist, Economist
- Prof. Raghavan Komondoor, Assistant Professor, IISc Bangalore
- Mr.Ramukiramnura,SWAT, USA
- Mr. A. Senthamil Selvan, Branch Manager, State Bank of India
- List of Tamil Nadu Government's Educational Institutions
- List of Tamil Nadu Government's Engineering Colleges
- "APERTURE - The Student e-Newsletter of GCT". Student Journalist Council of GCT. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- "APERTURE- The Student e- Newsletter of GCT". Student Journalist Council of GCT. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- "Mylswamy Annadurai, ISRO".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Government College of Technology, Coimbatore.|