Government House is the name of many of the residences of Governors-General, Governors and Lieutenant-Governors in the Commonwealth and the remaining colonies of the British Empire. It serves as the venue for the Governor's official business, as well as the many receptions and functions hosted by the occupant. Sometimes, "Government House" is used as a metonym for the Governor or his office.
- 1 Government Houses in the Commonwealth of Nations
- 1.1 Anguilla
- 1.2 Antigua and Barbuda
- 1.3 Australia
- 1.4 The Bahamas
- 1.5 Barbados
- 1.6 Bermuda
- 1.7 British Virgin Islands
- 1.8 Canada
- 1.9 Cayman Islands
- 1.10 Dominica
- 1.11 Falkland Islands
- 1.12 Fiji
- 1.13 India
- 1.14 Isle of Man
- 1.15 Jamaica
- 1.16 Jersey
- 1.17 Kenya
- 1.18 Montserrat
- 1.19 New Zealand
- 1.20 Pakistan
- 1.21 Saint Kitts and Nevis
- 1.22 Saint Lucia
- 1.23 South Africa
- 2 Government Houses outside the Commonwealth of Nations
- 3 See also
Government Houses in the Commonwealth of Nations
Antigua and Barbuda
- Government House, St. John's is the official residence of the Governor-General of Antigua and Barbuda.
- Government House, Canberra, commonly known as Yarralumla, is the official residence of the Governor General of Australia.
- Admiralty House, Kirribilli is the Governor General's official residence in Sydney.
- Government Houses for the State Governors exist also in each State and the Northern Territory:
- Government House, Sydney in New South Wales
- Government House, Melbourne in Victoria; between 1901 and 1930 used by the Governor-General
- Government House, Brisbane in Queensland
- Government House, Perth in Western Australia
- Government House, Adelaide in South Australia
- Government House, Hobart in Tasmania
- Government House, Darwin in the Northern Territory
- Government House, Duke Street, Nassau is the official residence of the Governor General of the Bahamas.
- Government House, Government Hill, St. Michael, Barbados is the official residence of the former Governors and Governors-General of Barbados.
British Virgin Islands
- Government House, Road Town, Tortola is the official residence of the Governor of the British Virgin Islands.
- Rideau Hall in Ottawa is the official residence of the monarch and Governor General of Canada.
- Citadelle of Quebec in Quebec City, Quebec, is a second official residence for the monarch and governor general and is normally occupied for several weeks each year.
- Government Houses or official residences for the provincial lieutenant governors exist also in most provinces.
- Government House (Nova Scotia)
- Government House, Stanley is the residence of the Governor of the Falkland Islands. It was the scene of a battle with Argentine troops during the 1982 invasion.
Government House, Suva is located on Victoria Parade, Suva. It is the home of the President of Fiji and was built in 1928 to replace the original building - the residence of the colonial governor - which burnt to the ground after being struck by lightning in 1921.
Rashtrapati Bhavan was originally Government House, New Delhi. It was built as a residence for the Viceroy of India. From 1947 until 1950, it was the residence of the Governor-General of India. Since 1950, the President of India has lived in this building.
Isle of Man
King's House, Jamaica, is also known as Government House.
Government House, St Saviour is the official residence of the Lieutenant Governor of Jersey (currently Lieutenant-General Sir Andrew Ridgway). It is also the official residence of the Duke of Normandy (currently Queen Elizabeth II) as head of state when staying in Jersey.
Official Link: Governor-General of New Zealand
- Government House of Pakistan in Islamabad.
- Government House of Baluchistan in Quetta, Baluchistan.
- Government House of North-West Frontier Province in Peshawar, N.W.F.P.
- Government House of Punjab in Lahore, Punjab.
- Government House of Sindh in Karachi, Sindh.
Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Government House, Basseterre, Saint Kitts is the official residence of the Governor-General of Saint Kitts and Nevis.
Government Houses outside the Commonwealth of Nations
- Government House, Hong Kong, is located on Government Hill, Central, on Hong Kong Island. It was the official residence of most of the Governors of Hong Kong during British administration. After 1997, its status as the official residence of the head of the Hong Kong Government was abolished and has been used as a place for mere ceremonial uses. However, when Sir Donald Tsang became the Chief Executive of Hong Kong, he reverted it and designated the House as the official residence and office. He moved into the House at the end of January 2006.
- Government House in Jerusalem is the former headquarters of the government of the British Mandate of Palestine until 1948, and has since June, 1948 been the headquarters of the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization.
- Government House of Thailand - Not an official residence, but the headquarters of the Office of the Prime Minister of Thailand.
- Government House, Lviv, Ukraine - formerly the seat of the Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria, a province of the Austro-Hungarian Empire
United States of America
- Some gubernatorial residences in the United States of America are also named Government House.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Government House.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.