Government Medical College, Thrissur
|Government Medical College, Thrissur.|
|Type||Controlled by Government of Kerala|
|Principal||Dr. Shirley Vasu|
|Location||Thrissur, Kerala, India|
Government Medical College Thrissur, established in 1982  is one of the leading centers in medical education in Kerala, India. Kerala University of Health Sciences began functioning in the campus in 2009. Spread over an area of more than 250 acres (100 ha), it is located in the serene surroundings of Mulagunnathukavu (M.G Kavu) 14 kilometres (8.7 mi) away from Thrissur.
The college was inaugurated on April 1, 1982 by the Governor of Kerala, Jyothi Vencatachellum, who had also laid the foundation stone for the proposed college building at Mulagunnathukavu on 30 April 1982. Govt.Medical College, Thrissur had its humble beginning at Mannuthy. By March 1983, the institution had moved to its permanent site at Mulamgunnathukavu, where the old buildings of the T.B. sanatorium were modified to accommodate the pre-clinical and the para-clinical departments as well as the administrative block.
The clinical departments started functioning on 22 October 1983 in the erstwhile District Hospital & Maternity Hospital buildings in Thrissur City. On April 1, 1985, the entire District Hospital was taken over. Construction of the 300 bedded Medical College Chest Hospital at Mulamgunnathukavu was completed in 1987. The primary health centre of Tholur was taken over by the college in 1986, for regular training of medical students in community and preventive care. Ollur and Erumappetty primary health centres were also made available for training purposes. Construction of the 400-bed new medical college hospital was started on 1995.
The first class of 74 students was admitted to the college in April 1982 who completed their course in the May 1987. The college was granted permanent recognition by IMC in 1991 and by WHO in 1993. In January 1995 construction of a new hospital complex was started in M.G Kavu. M.D. Radiodiagnosis courses were started in 1997 & MD general medicine courses were started in 2004.
In 2005 December the clinical departments were shifted from District Hospital to the New Medical College Hospital Complex in Mulagunnathukavu. The college celebrated its Silver Jubilee in the year 2007.
30/04/2006 to 25/06/2006 //Dr.Sudhendra gosh
Constitution and working of the college
Government Medical College, Thrissur is under the Directorate of Medical Education, Government of Kerala.
The academic year extends from June to April/May. The college remains closed on Sundays, gazetted holidays and such other holidays as may be notified by the government.
As on October, 2009 
|Dr. K. Madhavan Kutty||14-01-1982 to 14-02-1983|
|Dr. C.V. Korah||18-02-1983 to 31-05-1983|
|Dr. N. Sarada Devi||01-06-1983 to 01-09-1984|
|Dr. Aysha Guharaj||01-09-1984 to 04-07-1985|
|Dr. V. Kanthaswamy||04-07-1985 to 07-10-1987|
|Dr. Nirmala Devi (Vice Principal-in-charge)||08-10-1987 to 04-11-1987|
|Dr. Saramma Joseph||05-11-1987 to 03-04-1990|
|Dr. N. Nirmala Devi||11-04-1990 to 15-07-1992|
|Dr. D. M. Vasudevan (Vice Principal-in-charge)||16-07-1992 to 15-05-1993|
|Dr. James T. Antony||16-05-1993 to 30-06-1994|
|Dr. D. M. Vasudevan (Vice Principal-in-charge)||24-09-1995 to 19-11-1995|
|Dr. T. Chandrasekaran Nair||20-11-1995 to 30-04-1998|
|Dr. V.K. Ramankutty (Vice Principal-in-charge)||01-05-1998 to 23-09-1998|
|Dr. K. Madan Mohan||24-09-1998 to 25-10-1999|
|Dr. V.K. Ramankutty (Vice Principal-in-charge)||26-10-1999 to 30-04-2001|
|Dr. M.R. Chandran||4-5-2001 to 21-07-2001|
|Dr. Madhavi Ramachandaen||27-3-2002 to 31-5-2002|
|Dr. M.Lilly||18-7-2002 to 28-02-2003|
|Dr. Bhagavathy Ammai||1-9-2004 to 31-5-2005|
|Dr. Aliama Fenn||30-7-2005 to 30-4-2006|
|Dr. M. J. Cyriac||26-4-2006 to 30-4-2007|
|Dr. A Remla Beevi||01-5-2007 to 30-09-2007|
|Dr. K.Praveenlal||01-10-2007 to 15-11-2011|
|Name of course||No of seats|
|Post Graduate MD, MS and diploma courses||Various specialities|
|Senior house surgeoncy||Various specialities|
|Diploma course in Medical Lab. Technology (MLT)||35|
|Certified Radiol. Assistant's (CRA) Course||35|
|Ophthalmic Assistant's Course||25|
- Mammography with steriotactic biopsy - first sophisticated mammography system installed in India.
- H.P.L.C - First of its kind to be installed in Medical Colleges of Kerala.
- CT - Second spiral CT scanner installed in Kerala.
- I.I.T.V(Image Intensifier Tele Vision flouroscopy) system in CT block.
- New ventilator for Medical College Chest Hospital.
- V-Sat with medlar facility in the library - first unit installed in Medical Colleges of Kerala.
- Champions of 21st All Kerala Inter-Medicos youth festival held at Government Medical College, Thrissur in 2003.
- Second prize in 22nd All Kerala Inter-Medicos youth festival held at Government Medical College Calicut in 2004.
- Second prize in 23rd All Kerala Inter-Medicos youth festival held at Government Medical College Trivandrum in 2005
- Champions of 26th All Kerala Intermedicos Fest held at Pariyaram Medical College in March 2010
- First prize in State-level Inter-collegiate Youth Festival held as part of the silver jubilee celebrations of Government Medical College, Thrissur on November 2006 
- Second prize in Arts in 22nd All Kerala Inter-Medicos Festival held at Government Medical College, Kottayam.
- 1st prize for quiz in ULTIMATE 2008 held at T D Medical college, Allepey
- 2nd prize for quiz at MA college Kothamangalam & Adi Shankara College, Kalady
- 3rd prize for quiz at P S Varrier Ayurveda College, Kottakal
A. Medical College Establishments
- Medical College Administrative office, Pre-clinical & Para clinical departments including Mortuary & Office of Police Surgeon.
- New Medical College Hospital.
- Medical College Chest Hospital.
- Men's Hostel & Women's Hostel.
- College Library.
- College Canteens
- Post Office & Employees Co-operative Store.
- P.W.D (spl.buildings) section, S.B.T (Extn.counter)
- 800 bedded extension of New Medical College Hospital Complex (under construction).
- Teletherapy building.
- Museum block for Forensic Medicine.
- Lecture Halls.
B. Attached institutions outside the campus
- Health Centre
- Rural: Tholur, Ollur & Erumappetty.
- Urban: Urban Community Health Centre, Kizhakkumbattukara. (in collaboration with Thrissur Corporation)
In addition there is an Auditorium located deep inside the campus which hosts the Annual inter-batch youth festivals. There is a small temple in the campus. The three canteens in the campus are run by the prestigious Indian Coffee House. The non clinical departments are situated as separate buildings inside the campus.
The batches studying MBBS in the college every year aren't named by the number or year of the batch, instead the names of eminent doctors in history are used. They are
- Laennecs (named after René Laennec)
- Hunters (named after John Hunter)
- Flemings (named after Sir Alexander Fleming)
- Listers (named after Joseph Lister)
- Khoranas (named after Har Gobind Khorana)
- Oslers (named after William Osler)
- Published: 2006
- Publishers Name: Vineeth Thilakan, Chief Student Editor, Students Union 2004-2005.
- Published: 2005
- Publisher's Name: Arun Krishna.A.K, chief student editor, Students union 2003-2004.
Won the award for the Best Magazine in "All Kerala Basheer Memorial Award Competition".
- Published: 2004
- Publisher's Name: Prasoon Anil Narayanan, chief student editor, Students union 2002-2003
- Published: 2004
- Publisher's Name: Pleasant Sunny, chief student editor, Students union 1999-2000
- Published: 2003
- Publisher's Name: Anjith D, chief student editor, Students union 2001-2002
Previous year's magazines
- Chiaroscuro 1992
Medical College Annual 82-83-First college Magazine from Trichur Medical College Chief Student Editor-P.P.Mohan
Thrissur Medical College Alumni Association(TMCAA)  is an organization of the past and present students of Govt.Medical College, Thrissur and the teachers who served as faculty in this institution. As per the byelaw, this organization is committed to the academic and infrastructural development of the alma mater. TMCAA conducts the famous CME programme for orientation for junior doctors for career advancement, helping doctors all over Kerala to get through the post-graduate MD/MS entrance examinations.
TMCAA have also provided teaching materials, audio visual equipment, furnitures, computers, academic bulletin board, surgical instruments, instruments for pre-clinical medical training, high quality Histology teaching slides, medical journals and books, TVs, chairs, scanners and printers & LCD projectors to various departments.
TMCCA have also contributed in computerization of MCCH out patient dept, beautification of the campus (by sponsoring planting of trees in MCCH), co sponsoring academic meetings and art festivals, co-sponsoring the 31st Inter-medical youth festival, felicitating our retiring teachers, hosting a web Site useful for the institution, supporting various academic activities of the students, reprographic services for PGs, departments administration, supporting water supply scheme of the college campus, supporting back ground work in IMC inspections, silver jubilee celebrations, working as a catalyst in various situations where administrative bottle necks affects the development of the alma mater & providing financial support for students.
The Thrissur Medical College Alumni Association built and donated an Academic Complex in the year 2009, at an approximate cost of Rs.16 millions. The complex consists of one Convocation Hall of 1000 seating capacity, two Seminar Halls of 200 seats, an Electronic Library and a Food Court. The entire complex is air conditioned, and now serves as the nerve center of academic activities. The TMCAA is also planning to build and donate an Indoor Stadium cum Examination Hall in the near future. a Memorandum of Understanding has been signed with the Government of Kerala for this purpose.
- List of medical colleges in India
- PGIMER Chandigarh
- CMC Vellore
- Azeezia Medical College
- Government T D (Tirumala Devaswom) Medical College, Alappuzha
-  Government of Kerala official website Retrieved on August 4, 2007
-  Official website of Thrissur Retrieved on August 4, 2007
-  TMCAA - History, Retrieved on August 4, 2007
-  "Kerala legislature - Governors", Retrieved on August 4, 2007
-  "Departments" Dept of Information & Technology, Retrieved on August 4, 2007
- The Hindu August 6, 2004 "Steps to shift MCH: Minister" Retrieved on August 4, 2007
-  The Hindu May 20, 2004 "Thrissur medical college being shifted" Retrieved on August 4, 2007
-  TMCAA - Principals Retrieved on May 2012
-  "TMCAA - Courses conducted", Retrieved on August 4, 2007
-  The Hindu February 23, 2004 "Kozhikode Medical College tops fete" Retrieved on August 4, 2007
-  The Hindu November 26, 2006. "Thrissur engineering college leading in youth festival" Retrieved on August 4, 2007
-  The Hindu November 07, 2007. "Medicos festival in Kottayam from tomorrow" Retrieved on November 16, 2007
-  TMCAA Aims & Objectives Retrieved on August 4, 2007
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Government Medical College, Thrissur.|
- Official website of Government medical College, Thrissur
- Thrissur Medical College Alumni Association(TMCAA) website
- More information and students comments about Medical College, Thrissur on iRADiX
- News on Medical college shifting, The Hindu, 5 June 2005
- Modernisation project of medical college in limbo, The Hindu, 24 February 2006