Government National College (Karachi)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014)|
Government National College is the biggest college of Karachi being run under one roof, with all the three faculties of Science, Arts and Commerce up to degree level being affiliated with the University of Karachi.
Government of Sindh, with the concept that information technology education should come within the reach of common people, introduced a three-year Bachelor in Computer Science (B.C.S.) program in ten public sector colleges of the province in 2001. Government National College, Karachi had the honor of being the first selectee for this program. Government of Sindh and the college administration took the project on a war-footing and now the BCS block has fully equipped laboratories, well-furnished classrooms, and an independent library containing several hundred books of various disciplines.
The National Educational Society established the school as the National College, with 'Professor Hasan Adil', Professor Hasnain Kazmi and efforts of Kardar who specially helped to get the land for education purpose from Government. Prof. Hasan Adil serving as the first head from March 1956 to March 1973. Originally the school had co-educated system and a "double shift". On 1 September 1972 the Pakistani government nationalised the school. After nationalization Prof. Syed Imtiaz Hussain, Head of Chemistry Department of this College took the charge of Principal. Under his principalship the College playing a vital role in education of Karachi. In the context of evening classes the name of Dr. Ansar Zahid Khan, a well known literally personality and professor of History became the Incharge of evening shift. The evening shift completely separated and became independent college status, was introduced in 1993 after the Sindh provincial government. In 1996 the Department of Computer Science, under the faculty of Science opened. the first time any government college in Karachi offered that intermediate level. Two years later and efforts of Prof. Khawaja Muhammad Rashid, Professor Nazir Ahmed, Professor Ilyas Soomro and Senior Superintendent Aftab Ahmed,the college introduced Computer Science at B.Sc. level . In 2013 efforts of Prof. Abrar Khan in National College Introduces DAE with Machanical , Electrical , CiviL and Chemical FielDs . its a great victory for Colleges because its done first time in karachi . all students apreciates this act and always thankfuL to Prof. Abrar Khan Tanoli .. 
The campus of the College extends to an area of 1.75 acres (7,100 m2) and consists of three blocks: Science, Arts and Commerce. The College has 30 lecture rooms, which are spacious, airy and well illuminated. The laboratories are well equipped.
In front of the main building there are verdant lawns and flowerbeds along the walkways.
There is a large, centrally located auditorium named after Sir Syed Ahmad Khan, a renowned educationist, a Muslim reformer, a freedom fighter and the founder of Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh. A part of the auditorium serves as indoor games like Basketball , Table Tennis , BadmingTon , Snooker , wolyboll , yassu panju , pakran pakrayii , Baraf Panii , oonch neech ka pahar and Kona Kona ...
The campus library is a two-story building, the upper story of which serves as a place for researchers. The lower story serves as a reading hall for students. Presently, the library has more than 25,000 books on different subjects. The leading dailies of the country are available in the Reading Hall.
The library was recently equipped with four computers for study purposes. They are loaded with dictionaries and encyclopedias for the students' quick reference.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (June 2014)|
- Professor Hasan Adil
- Professor Syed Imtiaz Hussain
- Professor Hasnain Kazmi
- Professor Ahmed Hussain Zaidi
- Professor Mukkaram Ali Sherwani
- Professor Siraj-ul-islam Bhukhari (Chairman KARACHI CRICKET BOARD)
- Professor Rashid Hai
- Professor Jamal uddin
- Professor Anees Ahmed Zaidi
- Professor Liaquat Ali Shaikh
- Professor Zaheer uddin
- Professor Wasim Adil
- Professor Khawaja Muhammad Rashid
- Professor Ehtesham ul Haq (On chair)
- Prof. Sohail Alam Altaf Dean of Science Faculty
- Prof. Shahid Muhammad (Chemistry)/Head
- Prof. Ghulam Sarwar (Maths)/Head
- prof. Jehangir (Physics)/Head
- Prof. Nasir uddin (Statistics)
- Prof. Sohail Aslam (Zoology)/Head
- Prof. Abid Arzoo (Botany)/Head
- Prof. Muhammad Aqeel (Economics)/Head
- Prof. Muhammad Ibrahim Ghouri (Urdu)
- Prof. Khadim Hussain (Arts)/Head
- Prof. Abrar Khan TanOlii ( vice Principal of National College )
- Lecturer. Adil Azmat (Chemistry)
- Lecturer. Zawar Sindhii (Chemistry)
Non Teaching Staff
- Mr. AsaD Moosa( Senior Sweeper )
- Mr. Ameen Askanii ( Security Guard )
- Mr. Shah Raza ( Superintendent )
- Mr. Saleem uddin ( Senior Clerk )
- Mt. Muhammad Ashraf Khaskhely ( Senior Clerk )
- Mr. Diber ( Junior Clerk )
- Mr. Muhammad Ali ( Junior Clerk )
- Mr. Naeem Ahmed ( Laboratory Supervisor )
- Mr. Syed Iftikhar Ali ( Laboratory Supervisor )
- Mr. Maqsood Alam ( Laboratory Supervisor )
- Mr. Ammad ullah Khan ( Senior Lab. Assistant )
- Mr. Syed Muhammad Javed ( Senior Lab. Assistant )
- Mr. Aziz ullah Mangnejo ( Senior Lab. Assistant )
- Mr. Muhammad Kashif ( Senior Lab. Assistant )
- Mr. Muhammad Zohaib Khan ( Senior Lab. Assistant )
- Mr. Muhammad Aftab ( Senior Lab. Assistant )
- Mr. AmaaN Rafique SanDle ( NationaL GanDu )
- Hussain Haqqani (Pakistan Ambassador to the United States)
- Ghulam Bombaywala (restaurateur in Houston, Texas)
- "History" (Archive). Government National College. Retrieved on May 26, 2014.
- "Location" (Archive). Government National College. Retrieved on May 26, 2014.
- "Bombaywala, Ghulam Bombaywala transcript, 2 of 2" (Oral Histories from the Houston History Project) (Archive). University of Houston Libraries. (Interview of Ghulam Mohammed Bombaywala, HHA #00570, July 19, 2007, Interviewer: Uzma Quraishi, Transcribed by Suzanne Mascola) p. 3.