Stanley Medical College
|Stanley Medical College|
|ஸ்டான்லி மருத்துவக் கல்லூரி|
|Type||Public; Medical College and Hospitals|
|Location||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
|Affiliations||The Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University|
Stanley Medical College (SMC) is a government medical college with hospitals, located in Chennai (Madras) in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. Though the original hospital is more than 200 years old, the medical college was formally established on July 2, 1938. Stanley Medical College is ranked 22nd in the India Today 2014 survey.
The medical college and the hospital is considered one of the best state-owned medical facilities and educational institutes in the country, with a Centre of Excellence for Hand and Reconstructive Microsurgery and a separate cadaver maintenance unit, the first in the country. By legacy, the hospital's anatomy department receives corpses for scientific study from the Monegar Choultry from which the hospital historically descended.
Stanley Medical College and Hospitals is one of the oldest and well known centers in India in the field of medical education. The seed for this institution was sown as early as 1740 when the East India Company first created the medical department. The renowened Stanley Hospital now stands on the old site of the Monegar Choultry established in 1782. In 1799 the Madras Native Infirmary was established with Monegar Choultry and leper asylum providing medical services.
In 1830, a well known philanthropist Raja Sir Ramasamy Mudaliar endowed a hospital and dispensary in the Native Infirmary. In 1836, Madras University established M.B. & G.M. and L.M & S Medical Courses in the Native Infirmary. In 1903, a hospital assistant course was introduced with the help of the East India Company. In 1911, the first graduating class was awarded their Licensed Medical Practitioner (LMP) diplomas.
In 1933, Five Year D.M. & S (Diploma in Medicine & Surgery) course was inaugurated by Lt. Colonel Sir George Fredrick Stanley a British parliamentarian. The school was named after him by the Governor of Madras Presidency on July 2, 1938. In 1941, three medical and surgical units were created. This was expanded to seven medical and surgical units in 1964. In 1938, 72 students studied, and then from 1963, 150 students were admitted each year. In 1964, Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, the President of India, laid the foundation stone for College Auditorium to mark Silver Jubilee Celebration.
In 1990, the Institute of Social Paediatrics was established. Initially established as a centre for children and for improving research programmes, the institute today houses several departments of the hospital including nephrology, dermatology, and neurology and provides treatment for adult patients from Stanley.
The College is associated with the well known Government Stanley Hospital which has 1280 beds for in-patient treatment. The hospital has an out-patient attendance of around 5000 patients per day. A unique feature is its 8-story surgical complex equipped to perform up to 40 surgeries simultaneously, and a separate pediatrics block with all specialities under one roof.RSRM hospital is also attached for obstetrics and Gyneacology care. and a modern 7 storey medicine complex under construction expected to be completed in 2013.
The three well known departments of the Stanley Medical Hospitals are Surgical Gastroenterology, Urology and the Institute of Hand Rehabilitation and Plastic Surgery. The Institute for Research and Rehabilitation of Hand and the Department of Plastic Surgery (IRRH & DPS) is one of the best centers in Southeast Asia. The Department of Surgical Gastroenterology was the first in India to perform a successful liver transplant, under the leadership of Dr. R.P. Shanmugam, Surgical Gastroenterologist and the first among Hospitals/ Hospital Departments in India to obtain the ISO 9001 certification. The Department of Urology performs up to fifty kidney transplants a year.
Admissions to Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBBS) and post-graduate (MD, MS, other diplomas and higher specialties) are through state (85% seats) and national (15%) entrance examinations. Reservations of seats and reduced tuition are available to underserved communities. Admissions are open only to Indian citizens, and are highly competitive. Admissions to the MBBS program (about 250 seats per year) are based on a weighted aggregate of the entrance exam and high-school final exam scores. About 1 in 40 applicants are accepted to the MBBS program statewide (about 1500 seats in 15 medical colleges), and only the top-rankers among those accepted to the MBBS program statewide are admitted to Stanley Medical College bringing the effective admission rate to less than 1 in 200. Several seats in post-graduate programs are reserved for physicians in Government service.
The following undergraduate programs are offered:
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBBS) - Basic (first professional) medical degree in India, five-and-a-half years duration (4.5 years course work followed by one year compulsory rotational internship). Applicants are accepted after the completion of 10+2 years of primary and secondary school. Only Indian citizens are accepted, as the program is subsidised by the government. The graduates of this program are eligible to register as general medical practitioners after the completion of the internship.
Masters programs offered include Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) and Masters in Surgery (M.S.) degrees which consist of a three-year residency. The following programs are offered:
- M.D. General Medicine
- M.D. Micro Biology
- M.D. Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- M.D. Physiology
- M.D. Pharmacology
- M.D. Paediatrics
- M.D. Psychiatric Medicine
- M.D. Anaesthesiology
- M.D. Dermato-veneriology
- M.D. Pathology
- M.D. Biochemistry
- M.D. TB& Chest Diseases
- M.S. General Surgery
- M.S. Anatomy
- M.S. Ophthalmology
- M.S. E.N.T
- M.S. Orthopedics
Post graduate diploma programs consist of a two-year clinical residency. The following programs are offered:
- D.G.O. Diploma in Gynaecology and Obstetrics
- D.C.H. Diploma in Child Health
- D.M.R.D. Diploma in Medical Radio Diagnosis
- D.L.O. Diploma in Laryngo Otology
- D.A. Diploma in Anaesthesiology
- D.Ortho. Diploma in Orthopaedics
- D.O. Diploma in Ophthalmology
- D.D.V.L Diploma in Dermatology, Venerology & Leprosy
Stanley Medical College also offers several higher specialty fellowship training programs. These include:
- D.M. Neurology
- D.M. Cardiology
- D.M. Nephrology
- D.M. Gastroenterology
- M.Ch. Neurosurgery
- M.Ch. Plastic Surgery
- M.Ch. Surgical gastroenterology
- M.Ch. Urology
- M.Ch. Vascular Surgery
- Government Stanley Hospital, Chennai 600 001
- Government Raja Sir Ramasamy Mudaliar Lying-in Hospital, Chennai 600 013
- Government Hospital for Thoracic Medicine, Tambaram, Chennai 600 047
- Government Peripheral Hospital, Tondiarpet, Chennai 600 081
Stanley Medical College organizes a highly acclaimed International Medical Conference called "EMPOWER". Running successfully for the tenth year in a row, it is one of the only international conferences in the medical field held in India. Prominent speakers in the conferences include Dr. Shantha of Adyar Cancer Institute, Dr. Mohan of Mohan Diabetes and Dr. Mohammed Rela.
SMC has a dance group named "Stan Boots" that has won several awards at various inter-college cultural festivals. Stanboots was first started in 2002 and received its first accolade in madurai medical college in 2003. Euphoria, the annual inter-college cultural festival is popular in the city of Chennai, and often receives participation from other states as well. The college has hockey, football cricket, basketball, volleyball teams. The Hockey team have won the JIPMER'S "SPANDAN" in 2009 and 2012 which is an All India event. The students publish the yearly 'Stanley Times' which showcases creative expressions by the students. The Stanley Literary Society also promotes literature and arts among the students. The inter-college cultural fest conducted is called 'Euphoria'. It is a continuous annual event, but it had a gap of three years from 2004. Again in was revived in the year 2008. The Rotaract Club performs free medical service to underserved communities. The college hosts a company of the National Cadet Corps, which is affiliated with the medical division of the Tamil Nadu NCC.
SMC has adopted a village, Alamadhi which is in the outskirts of the city. Students visit the place every week and provide free medical service to the people of Alamadhi and its surrounding villages.
SMC has a fashion parade team in the name of "Mafiozee". They have won almost all major competitions held in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.
Stanleans have undertaken a project called "Green Hands" which involves saplings growth and distribution to nearby villages
There are separate boarding and lodging facilities (hostels) for male and female students. The men's hostel has separate kitchen and dining facilities for undergraduates, house surgeons and postgraduates respectively. The sport facilities are well maintained. The campus has a basketball court. The campus itself is a pleasant one with lots of trees and well-maintained gardens. Three new hostels are being built behind the paediatrics block having accommodation for around 1200 students.
Classes (with year of entry)
This institution is known for the quality of its students and the camaraderie among them. Old Stanleans Day, the annual alumni reunion, takes place on the last Sunday of January every year. Every class of MBBS students has assigned to itself a name denoting the year of entry. Recent years are:
- The Batch of 1977
- Stanley '86
- Stanley '87
- Stanley '88
- Stanley '89
- Stanley '90 Batch
- Jalaccans 1991
- Legaxie 1992
- Frenzy 1993
- Elysee 1994
- Nexus 1995
- Naviyam 1996
- Ailanto 1997
- Swazam 1998
- Ascelpians 1999
- Swedham 2000
- Zophureo 2001
- Sparizm 2002
- Caduceus 2003
- Veovyanz 2004
- Morpheuz 2005
- Juventaz 2006
- ZwaggerZ 2007
- Zepherus 2008
- AltheanZ 2009
- Salvadorz 2010
- Derzelanz 2011
- Thugiram 2012
USA Stanley Medical College Alumni Meetings
Since 1990 regular alumni meetings were made possible by dynamic Stanleans. In these meetings, there are certified continuing medical education lectures, delivered by world expert Stanleans from a variety of medical fields. Also there are recreational activities, net-working, cocktail receptions, banquets, facilitating peer-learning in both personal and professional life dimensions, along with reminiscing Stanley life. Inspirational discussions include details and prior experiences regarding "giving back" to Stanley Medical College and to the under privileged community living in India.
Office bearers of this alumni are: Drs. Manohar N. Nallathambi, Prakash Rao, and Ramakrishna
Alumni meeting locations:
- 1990 - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- 1991 - San Antonio, Texas
- 1992 - Boston, Massachusetts
- 1993 - Las Vegas, Nevada
- 1994 - Chicago, Illinois
- 1995 - London, UK
- 1996 - Bahamas Cruise
- 1997 - Chennai, India
- 1998 - New York
- 1999 - Atlanta, Georgia
- 2000 - Egypt
- 2002 - Los Angeles, California
- 2005 - Italy
- 2006 - Kenya
- 2010 - Savannah, Georgia
- 2012 - being planned to be held on "Palace on Wheels, India"
Notable faculty and alumni
- Vilayanur S. Ramachandran, Neurologist and Cognitive Science researcher
- Dr. Govindappa Venkataswamy ( Dr V) founder of Aravind Eye Hospitals
- Prof Ramaswami Venkataswami, founder of IRRH & DPS (Hand Rehabilitation / Plastic Surgery)
- Dr.Mirudhubashini Govindarajan, Infertility Expert
- Dr. Lakshmanan Sathyavagiswaran Chief Medical Examiner-Coroner for the County of Los Angeles
- Late. N. Mathrubootham, Psychiatrist.
- Dr Jitendra Singh Union Minister for DoPT and PMO and Union Minister of Science and Technology (Independent Charge)
- Late. Dr Sondur Sriniwasachar professor of Bio-chemistry at Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences
- Dr. T. Thomas The first Indian Cardiothoracic surgeon.
- Mohammed Rela, liver transplant surgeon at the King's College Hospital.
- Dr. Prathap C. Reddy, founder of Apollo Hospitals.
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (January 2015)|
- Dr David Jayakar, Director of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Chicago, USA
- Dr. Bala Jaganathan, University of Central Florida, Orlando, USA
- Dr A.N. Subramanian Consultant Colorectal Surgeon and Lead Clinician, Calderdale & Huddersfield NHS Trust, England
- Dr. Seshan Subramanian, Chief of Oncology, Mercy Hospitals, Chicago Illinois, USA
- Prof. Isaac. R. Francis, Professor of Radiology and the Associate Chair for Research. Director of the Tumor Imaging Core at the University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA.
- Dr. G. Venkatasubramanian, Additional Professor Of Psychiatry at NIMHANS
- Dr. C. Palanivelu, Minimal Access Surgeon, Gastroentrology, founder of Gem Hospital, Coimbatore
- Dr. Lalitha kameswaran, Pharmacologist and First Vice-Chancellor of Tamil Nadu Dr.MGR Medical University
- Dr. Seshasayee Narasimhan, Consultant Cardiologist/Research into South Asian Cardiovascular Disease, Australia
- Dr. Hanumara Ramaswamy Chowdri, Specializes in Infectious Disease Medicine, Hawthorn Medical Associates, Massachusetts, USA
- Dr. Sivasankaran Suresh Kumar, Associate program director, University of Miami regional campus, USA
- Prof. V. Raveenthiran, Associate Editor, Indian Journal of Surgery
- Dr. M.R Sivashanmugam, Retd. Medical Superintendent, GH, Tiruvannamalai
- "INDIA'S BEST MEDICINE COLLEGES 2011 RANK 25 Stanley Medical College", India Today 2011
- Peter, Petlee (12 May 2012). "Old Jail Road, a link with the past". The Hindu (Chennai: The Hindu). Retrieved 23 Mar 2014.
- Madhavan, D. (28 January 2013). "It’s a long walk for Stanley patients". The Hindu (Chennai: The Hindu). Retrieved 28 Jan 2013.
- "Stanley Medical College, Chennai". The Telegraph (Calcutta, India). 3 November 2004.
- "Marginal fall in patient turnout in hospitals". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 1 April 2007.
Dr.S.K.Noordeen, famous leprologist and WHO head of Leprosy Elimination
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (July 2014)|
- The Stanley Medical College Network is a website run by Stanlean Alumni since 1999 to bring together students, faculty, staff and alumni of SMC from all over the world.
- Dept of Medicine, Stanley Medical College - Currently offline.
- Article in The Telegraph about Stanley Medical College and Hospitals
- Stanley Medical college listing on iRADiX iRADiX is free Radiology resource with information about Radiology Departments including Stanley Hospital.
- The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University (TNMMU), the affiliating body for all medical colleges in Tamil Nadu state, including SMC
- Number of seats available in various medical education programs under TNMMU.
- Common Admissions through the State Entrance Examination for in-state MBBS applicants, The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University.
- Credential verification and attestation services for degrees and certificates awarded by the University.
- All India PreMedical Test, the entrance test for out-of-state MBBS applicants.