Portland Historic Landmark
Sentinel Hotel at night.
|Location||611–619 SW 10th Avenue
|Architect||William C. Knighton|
|NRHP Reference #||85000370 |
|Added to NRHP||February 28, 1985|
Built in 1909, the East Wing of the Sentinel Hotel was originally known as the Seward Hotel. Its glazed terracotta exterior motif features a blending of art nouveau and Native American designs. Its interior architecture is in the arts and crafts style, popular during the period it was built. The hotel's architect, William C. Knighton, went on to become the first Oregon State Architect in 1912, and later designed the Oregon State Supreme Court Building. The hotel was renamed The Governor Hotel in 1932.
In the early 1990s, the building served as the filming location for several films: Portlander Gus Van Sant filmed a scene of My Own Private Idaho and Madonna filmed several scenes of Body of Evidence inside.
The hotel was extensively rebuilt in 1992, after years of neglect. The renovation joined the original Seward Hotel building with the neighboring Princeton Building, which had originally been constructed in 1923 as the Temple of Portland Elks Lodge No. 142. In 1978 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. It was redesigned to serve as the main entrance to the new hotel.
The Governor Hotel was sold to Provenance Hotels in 2012. They invested $6 million in renovations, and renamed the hotel the Sentinel Hotel on March 14, 2014. The name is a reference to the robot-like stone sculptures on the building's roofline.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-01-23.
- Portland Historic Landmarks Commission (July 2010), Historic Landmarks -- Portland, Oregon (XLS), retrieved November 13, 2013.
- King, Bart: An Architectural Guidebook to Portland, pgs. 45-46. Gibbs Smith, 2001
- "National Register of Historic Places: Multnomah County, Oregon". Retrieved 2007-07-27.
- "Sentinel Hotel: Our Storied History". Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "University of Oregon Library Digital Collection". Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "Jake's Grill". Sentinel Hotel. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "Portland Business Journal". Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "OregonLive.com". Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- City Club of Portland Friday Forums