|Headquarters||Newcastle upon Tyne|
Govia is a transport company based in the United Kingdom. It was formed in November 1996 as a joint venture between Go-Ahead (65%) and Keolis (formerly Via GTI) (35%) to bid for rail franchises during the privatisation of British Rail.
As part of the privatisation of British Rail, the Thames Trains franchise was awarded to Victory Rail Holdings, a company owned by Go-Ahead (65%) and some ex British Rail managers (35%), with operations commencing on 13 October 1996. Go-Ahead bought the remaining shares it didn't own in June 1998.
Go-Ahead formed a joint venture with Keolis and were awarded the Thameslink franchise with operations commencing on 2 March 1997. Upon being retendered, the franchise passed to First Capital Connect on 1 April 2006. Govia also unsuccessfully bid for the Regional Railways North West and ScotRail franchises.
In August 2001, Govia commenced operating the Southern franchise adopting the Southern. In April 2006, Govia commenced operating the Southeastern franchise. In November 2007, Govia commenced operating the London Midland franchise and in May 2014, the Govia Thameslink Railway franchise.
Govia currently operate four rail franchises:
- Govia Thameslink Railway operating as Thameslink and Great Northern on the Thameslink route (expires March 2021)
- London Midland on the West Coast Main Line and in the West Midlands (expires March 2016)
- Southeastern from Kent and East Sussex to London (expires June 2018)
- Southern operating as Southern and Gatwick Express from East and West Sussex, Surrey and parts of Kent and Hampshire to London. Will become part of Govia Thameslink Railway in July 2015
Goiva previously ran rail franchises through the following companies:
The partners have also bid for other franchises separately. Keolis has held a 45% shareholdiing in First Transpennine Express since February 2004, and in 2012 bid for the InterCity West Coast franchise in partnership with SNCF. Go-Ahead bid for the Greater Anglia franchise.
- Companies House extract company no 3278419 Govia Limited
- Companies House extract company no 3147927 Victory Rail Holdings Limited
- Go-Ahead annual report 1997 Go-Ahead Group plc 28 June 1997
- Go-Ahead annual report 1998 Go-Ahead Group plc 27 June 1998
- Retention of South Central franchise Go-Ahead 9 June 2009
- More frequent and more secure rail services for London and the South East Department for Transport 9 June 2009
- About Us Govia
- Govia wins Thameslink rail franchise BBC News 23 May 2014
- Our Companies Govia
- Companies House extract company no 7934306 Govia Thameslink Railway Limited
- Companies House extract company no 5814584 London & Birmingham Railway Limited
- Companies House extract company no 4860660 London & South Eastern Railway Limited
- Companies House extract company no 6574965 Southern Railway Limited
- Department for Transport Announces Winner of Thameslink/GN Franchise Department for Transport Press Release 13 December 2005
- Northern Govia
- Shortlist for Northern and Transpennine Express rail operators revealed Department for Transport 19 August 2014
- Shortlisted Bidders For Greater Anglia And Intercity West Coast Rail Franchises Department for Transport 24 March 2011