Grütschalp railway station
|Elevation||1,487 m (4,879 ft)|
Grütschalp is a railway station on the Bergbahn Lauterbrunnen-Mürren, a hybrid cable car and rail link that connects the villages of Lauterbrunnen and Mürren in the Bernese Oberland region of Switzerland. Grütschalp is the point of interchange between the cable car from Lauterbrunnen and the high-level railway from Mürren.
The Lauterbrunnen-Mürren line opened in 1891, but until 2006 the connection between Lauterbrunnen and Grütschalp was effected by a funicular railway. The current cable car replaced this when the funicular was damaged by landslides, and uses the same route and adapted terminal stations.
The Lauterbrunnen-Mürren line also handles goods traffic to and from Mürren. This is done by carrying the goods in pallets that are carried under the cable car and on flat cars towed by the railcars. The pallets are transferred between the two by a complicated machine, part fork lift truck and part funicular, within the Grütschalp station complex. The complex also houses the workshops of the line.
The station is served by the following passenger trains:
|Operator||Train Type||Route||Typical Frequency||Notes|
|Bergbahn Lauterbrunnen-Mürren||Lauterbrunnen - Grütschalp - Winteregg - Mürren||2 to 4 per hour|
- Eisenbahnatlas Schweiz. Verlag Schweers + Wall GmbH. 2012. p. 82. ISBN 978-3-89494-130-7.
- Swiss Confederation. map.geo.admin.ch (Map). http://map.geo.admin.ch/?selectedNode=node_ch.swisstopo.swissboundaries3d-kanton-flaeche.fill1&Y=634735&X=160666.5&zoom=8&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisstopo.swissboundaries3d-gemeinde-flaeche.fill&layers_opacity=1&layers_visibility=true&lang=en. Retrieved 2013-02-10.
- "GB - Gurten Bahn". Funimag. Retrieved 2013-02-10.
- "Lauterbrunnen–Mürren". Bundesamt für Verkehr. Retrieved 2013-01-28.
- Media related to Grütschalp railway station at Wikimedia Commons
- Video of the transfer machinery at Grütschalp in operation
|This article about a railway station in Switzerland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|