Grace King High School
|Grace King High School|
|4301 Grace King Place
Metairie, Louisiana, 70002
|Motto||Luck of the Irish|
|School district||Jefferson Parish Public Schools|
|Superintendent||James Meza Jr.|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Color(s)||Hunter Green, White, and Gold|
|Mascot||The Fighting Irish (Also known as Lucky)|
Grace King High School is a public high school located in Metairie, unincorporated Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, United States. It is a part of the Jefferson Parish Public Schools and serves portions of Metairie and Kenner.
Grace King was built in the late 1960s as a high school, opening its doors in 1968 as an all-girls public school serving Jefferson Parish; remaining so until the 1980s, when it became co-ed. The school, which now serves Grades 9-12, is a part of the Jefferson Parish Public Schools system. The school serves unincorporated portions of Jefferson Parish and a portion of the city of Kenner. The school's mascot is Lucky the (Fighting Irish) Leprechaun, and the school colors are hunter green, white, and gold. During Hurricane Katrina, the school suffered damage to its gymnasium's roof, and housed a National Guard troop until the school reopened in October 2005. Grace King High School recently completed building a putt-putt course that is accessible to students confined to wheelchairs and crutches.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013)|
- Pantera and Down vocalist Phil Anselmo, a 1988 graduate, fronted the local heavy metal band Razor White. He later was the lead singer for Superjoint Ritual, and current lead guitarist in Arson Anthem.
- Donna Brazile, campaign manager for the Al Gore/Joe Lieberman presidential ticket in 2000, was the first African-American to direct a major presidential campaign.
- Danny Granger, NBA Los Angeles Clippers and former Indiana Pacers forward, was a 2001 graduate as a four-year letterman, averaging 24.3 ppg, 12 rpg and 5.5 bpg as a senior.
- Paul Hollis, member of the Louisiana House of Representatives from St. Tammany Parish, graduated in 1990 from Grace King and served as student body president.
- Salman Khan, founder of the Khan Academy, was valedictorian in 1994.
- Michael Lewis ("Beerman"), former San Francisco 49ers and New Orleans Saints wide receiver and kick returner.
- Kevin Mmahat, Former MLB player (New York Yankees)
- Mark Mullins, trombonist for Harry Connick, Jr. and Bonerama, is a 1985 graduate.
- Ellen DeGeneres, television show host of The Ellen DeGeneres Show was a brief attendant.
- Candice Stewart, Miss Louisiana Teen USA in 2002, Miss Louisiana USA in 2005 and a contestant on "Big Brother" in 2013, is a graduate of the school.
- Supriya Jolly Jindal, first lady of Louisiana.
In popular culture
Some of the high school scenes in 21 Jump Street, were filmed here including the first scene of the movie and the play scene.
The film College, by Deb Hagan, was filmed at Grace King High School in the summer of 2007.
The film Bug, by William Friedkin, was filmed at Grace King High School in the summer of 2005. The film is starring Ashley Judd, Michael Shannon and Harry Connick, Jr. and was released to theaters in 2007. The film's motel scenes were shot at the high school, where most of the film's action takes place. 
Grace King was also used for filming scenes for the TV Movie The Brooke Ellison Story.
- "Metairie CDP, Louisiana[dead link]." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on December 23, 2009.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP (INDEX): Metairie CDP, LA" (Archive). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- "Council District Map" (Archive). City of Kenner. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- "High School Districts 2012-2013 East Bank of Jefferson Parish Louisiana." (Archive) Jefferson Parish Public School System. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- "Basic Info[dead link]." Grace King High School.
- "Danny Granger". databaseBasketball.com. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- Khan Academy founder returns home as big name in U.S. school reform | NOLA.com
- "Michael Lewis". databaseFootball.com. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- Where are they now? Kevin Mmahat
- Mark Mullins Returns to King... - Grace King High School Alumni Association
- Ellen DeGeneres Biography - Facts, Birthday, Life Story - Biography.com
- Former Saintsation Candice Stewart to compete on 'Big Brother' | NOLA.com
- Pirates and Paintings | NOLA.com
- [dead link]