She is Distinguished Professor of English at Baruch College, CUNY. She has taught poetry writing at Princeton University, Columbia University, Wesleyan University, Bennington College, and Warren Wilson College.
She lives in New York with her husband, a scientist, Dr. Jerome L. Schulman.
- Guggenheim Fellowship for Poetry, 2004–2005
- Aiken Taylor Award for Poetry, 2003
- Distinguished Alumni Award, New York University Graduate Arts and Sciences, 2003
- Finalist, Phi Beta Kappa Awards, 2002.
- Delmore Schwartz Award for Poetry, 1996.
- Poetry Fellowship from the New York Foundation of the Arts, 1995.
- "Best Poem of 2004," American Scholar.
- Without a Claim: Poems. Mariner Books, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2013.
- The Broken String. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 2007. ISBN 978-0-618-44370-3.
- Days of Wonder: New and Selected Poems. Boston, Massachusetts: Houghton Mifflin. 2002. ISBN 978-0-618-34082-8.
- The Paintings of Our Lives. Boston, Massachusetts: Houghton Mifflin. 2001. ISBN 978-0-618-15465-4.
- For That Day Only Sheep Meadow Press (Riverdale-on-Hudson, NY), 1994.
- Hemispheres Sheep Meadow Press (New York, NY), 1984.
- Burn Down the Icons. Princeton University Press (Princeton, NJ), 1976.
- "American Solitude", Poetry Foundation
- "Balm in Gilead", Poetry Foundation
- Robert Pinsky (July 8, 2007). "Poet's Choice: "FIRST NIGHTS"". The Washington Post.
- "Waves", Verse Daily
- Walking to Elijah," Poetry Daily, August 26, 2016.
- "The Sound," Atlantic Monthly, September, 2013.
- "Hickories," The Kenyon Review, Winter 2013.
- "Division," "Fool's Gold," "Hurricane," "Letter Never Sent," "Love in the Afternoon," The Hudson Review, Summer 2013.
- "Before the Fall," "Yellow," "Tattoo," Sewanee Review, Fall 2013.
- "Apples," The Academy of American Poets, poets.org
- First Loves and Other Adventures. University of Michigan Press. 2010. ISBN 978-0-472-07087-9.
- Marianne Moore: The Poetry of Engagement. Urbana, Illinois: University of Illinois Press. 1986. ISBN 978-0-252-01270-9.
- Schulman, Grace, ed. (1974). Ezra Pound: A Collection of Criticism. McGraw-Hill. ISBN 978-0-07-055634-8.
- T. Carmi, At the Stone of Losses (poems), University of California Press (Berkeley, CA), 1983.
- Pablo Antonio Cuadra (1979). Songs of Cifar and the Sweet Sea: Selections from the "Songs of Cifar," 1967-1977. Translators Grace Schulman, Ann M. De Zavala. Columbia University Press. ISBN 978-0-231-04772-2.
- The Best American Poetry 1995, edited by David Lehman and Richard Howard.
- The Best of the Best American Poetry 1988-1998, edited by David Lehman and Harold Bloom.
- Pushcart Prizes 21, 23, 27, and 32.
- American Religious Poems, edited by Harold Bloom and Jesse Zuba.
- I Speak of the City, edited by Stephen Wolf.
- The Poetry Anthology,1912-2002, edited by Jospeph Parisi and Stephen Young.
- Hammer and Blaze: A Gathering of Contemporary Poets, edited by Ellen Bryant Voigt and Heather McHugh.