Grace Is Gone
|Grace Is Gone|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||James C. Strouse|
|Produced by||Galt Niederhoffer
Daniela Taplin Lundberg
|Written by||James C. Strouse|
|Music by||Clint Eastwood|
|Edited by||Joe Klotz|
|Distributed by||The Weinstein Company|
Grace Is Gone is a 2007 drama film starring John Cusack as a father who cannot bring himself to tell his two daughters that their mother, a soldier in the American army, has just been killed on a tour of duty in Iraq. On January 29, 2007, it won the Audience Award for Drama at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival.
The film was produced by Plum Pictures and New Crime Productions and purchased by Harvey Weinstein for distribution by The Weinstein Company. Weinstein announced plans to mount an Academy Award campaign on behalf of Cusack. This also marks the first time Clint Eastwood composed the score for a film which he did not write, direct or star in.
- John Cusack as Stanley Phillips
- Alessandro Nivola as John Phillips
- Gracie Bednarczyk as Dawn Phillips
- Shélan O'Keefe as Heidi Phillips
- Dana Lynne Gilhooley as Grace Phillips
- Marisa Tomei as Woman at Pool
- Mary Kay Place as Woman at Funeral
In September 2007 it was shown at the Telluride Film Festival, the Deauville Festival of American Cinema in France, the Toronto International Film Festival, and the New York Film Festival. It has also been shown at the Savannah Film and Video Festival, Starz Denver Film Festival, St. Louis International Film Festival, and Gijón International Film Festival in Spain. Grace is Gone opened in limited release in the United States on December 7, 2007, playing in 4 theaters.
The film also was featured in the 2007 Three Rivers Film Festival in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
The film met with mixed reviews. The review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reported that 62% of critics gave the film positive reviews, based on 71 reviews. On Metacritic, the film had an average score of 65 out of 100, based on 18 reviews.
The music in the film received two Golden Globe nominations by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association for the 65th Golden Globe Awards. Clint Eastwood was nominated for Best Original Score, while the song "Grace is Gone" with music by Eastwood and lyrics by Carole Bayer Sager was nominated for Best Original Song. It won the Satellite Award for Best Song at the 12th Satellite Awards.
- "Netscape.com – News". Retrieved 2007-12-30.
- http://festival.sundance.org/filmguide/popup.aspx?film=4703 Retrieved 2007-12-13
- "Grace Is Gone (2007) – Release dates". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2007-12-13.
- "Grace Is Gone (2007) – Weekend Box Office Results". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2007-12-13.
- "Grace is Gone – Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2007-12-07.
- "Grace Is Gone (2007): Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2007-12-07.
- "HOLLYWOOD FOREIGN PRESS ASSOCIATION 2008 GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS FOR THE YEAR ENDED DECEMBER 31, 2007". goldenglobes.org. 2007-12-13. Archived from the original on 2007-12-14. Retrieved 2007-12-13.