|This article relies on references to primary sources. (April 2010)|
|Founded by||Helio Gracie|
|Primary owners||Helio Gracie|
|Primary trainers||Royler Gracie, Rolker Gracie|
|Training facilities||Humaitá, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
Gracie Humaitá or Academia Gracie de Jiu-Jitsu is a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu academy on Humaitá Street, in Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, founded by Grandmaster Helio Gracie. The Academy offers classes in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, as originally taught by Grandmaster Helio Gracie.
The Academia Gracie was founded by Grand Masters Carlos and Helio Gracie on April 18, 1952 at Avenida Rio Branco 151 on the 17th and 18th floors. The original instructors were Carlson Gracie, Robson Gracie, Joao Alberto Barreto and Helio Vigio. They were supervised by Grand Master Helio Gracie. In 1981 the academy moved to Lagoa for a couple of years before establishing itself inside the Colégio Padre Antonio Vieira, a private Catholic school. Today the school focuses primarily in Sport Jiu-Jitsu, but also does training competitors for a career in MMA (although it isn't recommended, as it is primarily a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu training gym and not a MMA training gym).
On November 17, 2009 the Gracie Competition Team Academy opened for business in San Diego California. The academy is affiliated with Royler Gracie and Gracie Humaita and is run by Professors Regis Lebre and Johnny Faria and of course Royler Gracie is there frequently to conduct classes.
Famous students of the Academia Gracie de Jiu-Jitsu include:
- Rorion Gracie - 9th Degree Red Belt, Founder of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Teaches Jiu-Jitsu in California.
- Relson Gracie - 9th Degree Red Belt, Teaches Jiu-Jitsu in Hawaii.
- Rickson Gracie - 8th Degree Red & Black Belt, Vale Tudo Japan Champion.
- Royler Gracie - 7th Degree Red & Black Belt, ADCC Submission Wrestling World Champion, Instructor at Gracie Humaitá in Brazil and at Gracie Competition Team Academy in San Diego California.
- Royce Gracie - 7th Degree Black Belt, The first Ultimate Fighting Champion.
- Robin Gracie - 5th Degree Black Belt, Current head of Gracie Barcelona in Spain.
- Pedro Sauer - 8th Degree Red and Black Belt, Head of the Pedro Sauer Jiu-Jitsu Association. Teaches Jiu-Jitsu in Virginia, and Maryland.
- Carlos Gracie, Jr. - 7th Degree Red & Black Belt, Head of Gracie Barra
- Carlos "Caique" Elias - 7th degree Red & Black Belt, head of the Caique Jiu Jitsu network of schools. Teaches Jiu-Jitsu in Lomita, CA.ha.
- Megaton Dias - 4th Degree Black Belt, Teaches Jiu-Jitsu in Arizona.
- Saulo Ribeiro - 4th Degree Black Belt, Teaches Jiu-Jitsu in San Diego, former 6-time World Jiu-Jitsu Champion
- Leonardo Xavier - 3rd Degree Black Belt, Teaches Jiu-Jitsu in Houston, TX. Multiple time world medalist and former instructor at Gracie Humaita in Brazil.
- Bruno Panno - Gracie Sydney head coach, president of the New South Wales State BJJ Federation.
- Alexandre Ribeiro - 3rd Degree Black Belt; Teached Jiu-Jitsu in Toledo OH, San Diego,CA and Los Angeles CA.
- Leticia Ribeiro - 3rd Degree Black Belt, One of the highest ranking female Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belts in the world, Teaches Jiu-Jitsu in San Diego, CA.
- Jorge Brito- 3rd Degree Black Belt, Head Instructor at Toronto BJJ. Multiple time gold medalist in IBJJF & ADCC gi and no-gi events. MMA Record (12-9-1).
- Kron Gracie- 1st Degree Black belt, Son of Rickson Gracie. 2nd Place Light Weight Black belt World Jiu-Jitsu Championship 2011. ADCC 2013 champion. Teaches Jiu-Jitsu in Los Angeles
- Rolls Gracie - Black Belt
- "Gracie Humaitá". 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-26.
- Academia Gracie de Jiu Jitsu
- Gracie Humaita (Association Website)
- Gracie Humaitá MARanking profile Statistics and BJJ (GI) main titles since 2004