Grade I listed buildings in Leicester
There are thirteen Grade I listed buildings in Leicester. In the United Kingdom, the term listed building refers to a building or other structure officially designated as being of special architectural, historical or cultural significance. Grade I structures are those considered to be "buildings of exceptional interest". Listing was begun by a provision in the Town and Country Planning Act 1947. Once listed, severe restrictions are imposed on the modifications allowed to a building's structure or its fittings. In England, the authority for listing under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 rests with English Heritage, a non-departmental public body sponsored by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport. Local authorities have a responsibility to regulate and enforce the planning regulations.
There are also ten Scheduled Monuments in Leicester, some of which are also listed buildings.
List of Grade I buildings
|Name||Location||Date[note 1]||Grid reference||References||Image|
|Abbey Ruins||Abbey Park||Founded 1143||SK5846806007|||
|Abbot Penny's Wall, forming West and north boundary to Abbey Lane and Abbey Park Road East boundary along River Soar||Abbey Park||c.1500||SK5851306115|||
|Remains of Cavendish House||Abbey Park||c.1600||SK5840806078|||
|Turret Gateway||Castle View||c.1422-3||SK5831204122|||
|Castle Hall, including the Great Hall of Leicester Castle and John of Gaunt's cellar||Castle Yard||11th-12th century, front 1695||SK5822204190|||
|Church of St Mary de Castro||Castle Yard||From early 13th century||SK5828504188|||
|The Guildhall (including the Constable's House)||Guildhall Lane||From mid-14th century||SK5844404453|||
|The City Rooms||Hotel Street||1792||SK5869904350|||
|St Margaret's Church (listed as Church Gate)||St Margaret's Way||Mainly 15th century||SK5854205087|||
|Jewry Wall||St Nicholas Circle||AD 125-30||SK5822404489|||
|St Nicholas's Church||St Nicholas Circle||From AD 880, incorporating Roman brickwork||SK5823804501|||
|Magazine Gateway||The Newarke||c.1410||SK5844604120|||
|War Memorial||Victoria Park||1923||SK5956503212|||
- All dates are derived from the Heritage Gateway website. Many of the buildings listed incorporate features from a variety of periods.
- Heritage Gateway, ref. 188828
- "What is a listed building?". Manchester City Council. Retrieved 2007-12-08.
- "Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (c. 9)". Ministry of Justice. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- Heritage Gateway, ref. 188560
- Heritage Gateway, ref. 188561
- Heritage Gateway, ref. 188562
- Heritage Gateway, ref. 188598
- Heritage Gateway, ref. 188600
- Heritage Gateway, ref. 188601
- Heritage Gateway, ref. 188655
- Heritage Gateway, ref. 188672
- Heritage Gateway, ref. 188606
- Heritage Gateway, ref. 188802
- Heritage Gateway, ref. 188801
- Heritage Gateway, ref. 188745
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Grade I listed buildings in Leicester.|