Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences
||This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (January 2013)|
|Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences|
Logo of GSCASS
|Motto||笃学 慎思 明辨 尚行 (Chinese)|
|Motto in English||Inquire for truth, inspect to thoughts; insight through misleadings, involve with virtues|
|President||Liu Yingqiu (刘迎秋)|
|Academic staff||more than 900|
|Campus||6.1 acres (25,000 m2)|
The Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (GSCASS,simplified Chinese: 中国社会科学院研究生院; traditional Chinese: 中國社會科學院研究生院; pinyin: Zhōngguó Shèhuì Kēxuéyuàn Yánjiūshēngyuàn) is a public educational graduate school located in Beijing as one of the first two graduate schools (with Graduate University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences) of the People’s Republic of China.
- 1 History
- 2 Presidents
- 3 Academic Organizations
- 4 Campus Life
- 5 Notable Faculty
- 6 Notable alumni
- 7 Interschool Cooperation
- 8 Events
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Founded in 1978, Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences was approved by Central Government top leaders in the form of Executive Order. Different from other graduate schools run by university or college, Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences functions directly under the highest academic authority of Chinese social sciences research- the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS) -one of the largest state-run research organizations serving as the most important think tank set up to provide policy-making suggestions in Social, National and International domains. Originally, the purpose of GSCASS was to construct a Prospect Research Faculty Incubator- as its founding spirit may suggest- instrumental in providing qualified first-class researching backups to prosper the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. After 30 years’ development however, the Graduate School has now established its prestigious achievement in elite education both for official and unofficial needs. High percentage of GSCASS graduates entered the Legislative, Executive and Judicial Branches of Chinese Government and various researching organizations, playing leading roles in Academic Research, Policy Making, as well as Social Movement. The establishment of GSCASS made huge impact to Chinese Humanity and Social Science education at the dawn of the Reform and Opening Up (also known as the Economic reform in the People's Republic of China).
- Zhou Yang (周扬) 1978-1982
- Wen Qize (温济泽) 1982-1985
- Hu Sheng (胡绳) 1985-1990
- Jiang Liu (江流) 1990-1991
- Pu Shan (浦山) 1991-1994
- Fang Keli (方克立) 1994-2000
- Li Tieying (李铁映) 2000-2002
- Wu Yin (武寅) 2002-2007
- Liu Yingqiu (刘迎秋) (President Incumbent) 2007-
GSCASS was born to be prestigious because of the outstanding academic resources the CASS has selected and collected from nationwide. It has so far grown up with the widest coverage in research and education spanning Humanity and Social Science areas and has defined its leading momentum among all graduate schools in China. By now, the GSCASS was authorized to confer Doctoral and Master Research Degree in 11 Disciplines, 167 Sub-disciplines of Humanity and Social Science. Original and independent research is a hallmark of GSCASS.
GSCASS is composed of Faculty Committee, Academic Council, Academic Degree Evaluation Committee, 6 Departments, 38 Schools and over 900 faculty members. Typically, a faculty member has at most one student to advise in a period of 3 years. This one-to-one system between teacher and student encourages graduate students to involve in important research programs- usually waged by public. Students are free to embrace more significant experience combining theoretical and practical, as well as deeper emotional communication under such arrangement.
In aspect of International Communication, the GSCASS has established strong academic exchanging programs with prestigious graduate schools all over the world. Oversea programs for non-Chinese speaking students began to run in 1985. The number of degree students from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan kept surging from its first opening in 2000.
Compared with other famous graduate school run by university, the scale of GSCASS graduates has always been very small. Up to June 2008, the Academic Degree Evaluation Committee of GSCASS has totally conferred 2574 doctoral degrees, 4198 master degrees and 339 professional master degrees. In recent years, The GSCASS enrolls about 260 Doctoral candidates and 182 Master candidates annually. Students come from the mainland of China qualified for application are required to obtain outstanding scores in National Master Entrance Examination or Doctoral Entrance Examination the school held annually. So far, all GSCASS Master Degree candidates are fully financial aided. Ph.D. Candidates, due to the latest policy however, were covered by fund support in a fixed percentage so as to encourage top students to compete extra financial aid by outstanding performance in academic research.
The campus being in use was located in Wangjing area, northeast of the Beijing city, adjacent to Central Academy of Fine Arts, Beijing Youth Politics College and China Medical University. Small in scale though, it was well integrated and fully equipped, exuding a kind of 1980s’ spirit and confidence which is rare seen today. [Pictures and Brief Introduction]
By the end of 2009, new advanced campus site situated in the Beijing Liangxiang University Park (University) of Higher Education will come into service. The former campus site still functions as an auxiliary facility till then. [Blue Prints, Photos and Brief Introduction]
Committee Member and Senior Professor of DPSS, CAS(1955)
- Ji Xianlin (季羡林), Studies of India, Sanskrit
- Chen Hansheng (陈翰笙), History of Asia
- Liu Danian (刘大年), Modern History of China
- Lu shuxiang (吕叔湘), Chinese Grammar Studies
- Luo Gengmo (骆耕漠), Economics
- Qian Junrui (钱俊瑞), Rural Economics
- Xia Nai (夏鼐), Archeology and Field Excavation
- Xu Dixin (许涤新), Plutonomy
- Yu Guangyuan (于光远), Plutonomy and Philosophy
- Feng Zhi (冯至), Chinese Classical Literature and German Philosophy
- He Lin (贺麟), Philosophy
- Yin Da (尹达), Neolithic Archeology
- Zhang Youyu (张友渔), Law
Fang Keli (方克立)
Wang Shuwen (王叔文)
Wang Jiafu (王家福)
Shi Jinbo (史金波)
Ye Xiushan (叶秀山)
Tian Xueyuan (田雪原)
Liu Qingzhu (刘庆柱)
Liu Guoguang (刘国光)
Liu Shucheng (刘树成)
Lu Zheng (吕政)
Ru Xin (汝信)
Jiang Lansheng (江蓝生)
Yu Yongding (余永定)
Leng Rong (冷溶)
Zhang Zhuoyuan (张卓远)
Zhang Xiaoshan (张晓山)
Zhang Haipeng (张海鹏)
Zhang Yunling (张蕴岭)
Li Yang (李扬)
Li Jingwen (李京文)
Li Chongfu (李崇富)
Li Jingyuan (李景源)
Li Jingjie (李静杰)
Yang Yi (杨义)
Yang Shengming (杨圣明)
Wang Tongsan (汪同三)
Shen Jiaxuan (沈家煊)
Su Zhenxing (苏振兴)
Chen Jiagui (陈佳贵)
Chen Zuwu (陈祖武)
Chen Gaohua (陈高华)
Zhuo Xinping (卓新平)
Zhou Hong (周弘)
Zhou Shulian (周叔莲)
Lin Ganquan (林甘泉)
Zheng Chengsi (郑成思)
Hao Shiyuan (郝时远)
Geng Yunzhi (耿云志)
Liang Huixing (梁慧星)
Huang Baosheng (黄宝生)
Jing Tiankui (景天魁)
Qiu Yuanlun (裘元伦)
Jin Huiming (靳辉明)
Liao Xuesheng (廖学盛)
Party and State Leaders
- Bo Xilai (薄熙来)
Governors and State Officials
- Moody Bible Institute, the United States
- Far Eastern State University, Russia
- University of Alberta, Canada
- Keimyung University, Korea
- University of Illinois, the United States
- University of South Australia, Australia
- Waseda University, Japan
- Erasmus University, Netherlands
- University of Lausanne, Swiss
- University of California, Los Angeles, the United States
- Aichi University, Japan
- Daejin University, Korea
- Morehead State University, the United States
- University of Twente, Netherlands
- Umeå University, Sweden
- Aug. 21st, 1978- Top leaders of the Central Government of China, Ye Jianying, Deng Xiaoping, Wu Lanfu and Wang Dongxing,etc. signed the bill of The Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences into executive order. The first humanity and social science graduate school of China was thence established.
- Sept. 21st, 1981- the 1st Commencement of the Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences -held at the National Museum of Chinese History.
- July 17, 1982- the 1st Degree Conferring Ceremony of the Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences was held at the Great Hall of the People).
- Aug. 15th, 1984- Construction of Chaoyang campus (the campus currently in use) broke earth.
- Oct. 8th, 1988- The Ten Year Anniversary of the Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences was held at the Hall of Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference).
- 1989- The Political Unrest of 1989 in Beijing made great impact to the Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. The GSCASS was suspended from enrolling for three years which resulted in a roughly nine-year’s depression to the school.
- Sept. 1st, 1998- General Sectary, President Jiang Zemin addressed to the Twenty Year Anniversary of the Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, “To Build the Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences a Prominent Incubator for Talents of Humanity and Social Sciences.”
- Sept. 25th, 1998- The Twenty Year Anniversary of the Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences -held at the Great Hall of the People).
- July. 6th, 2000- The 1st Commencement for International Students of the Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.
- Apr. 26th, 2005- The 1st Opening Ceremony for MPA Graduate Students.
- Apr. 26th, 2008- New campus site in Beijing Liangxiang University Park (University) of Higher Education broke earth.
- Sept. 27th, 2008- The Thirty Year Anniversary of the Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.