Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University
|Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University|
|Dean||Carleen H. Stoskopf|
|Location||San Diego, California, USA|
The Graduate School of Public Health is one of the professional graduate schools of San Diego State University within its College of Health and Human Services. Located in the College Area neighborhood of San Diego, California, it is part of the Association of Schools of Public Health and is fully accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health. San Diego State University is a member of the Western Association of Graduate Schools, the Council of Graduate Schools in the United States, and the Consortium of Universities for Global Health. The GSPH also maintains its own chapter in the Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health.
The school's mission is to "approach population and individual health by integrating a variety of disciplines to study biomedical, genetic, psychosocial, cultural, environmental, societal, and political influences on health."
The GSPH began through the efforts of James W. Cobble, Dean of the Graduate Division at SDSU; the late Dr. John J. Hanlon, former Assistant Surgeon General of the U.S. Public Health Service and a father of modern public health; and Thomas B. Day, former President of SDSU. Associated with Dr. Hanlon's early work on the GSPH is the formation of an umbrella organization, the College of Health and Human Services, which would provide collaboration between the GSPH, the Schools of Social Work and Nursing, and the Departments of Health Science and Communicative Disorders.
The GSPH offers an undergraduate minor in public health; a Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences; a Master of Public Health; a Preventative Medicine Residency program; and Ph.D.s in Epidemiology, Health Behavior, and Global Health. Ph.D.s awarded by the GSPH are jointly awarded with the University of California, San Diego. The GSPH offers the following dual degrees: MPH/MA in Latin American Studies, MPH/MSW, and MPH/MD. Students pursuing MPH degrees have the option of choosing between five concentrations: Biometry, Environmental Health, Epidemiology, Health Promotion and Behavioral Science, and Health Management and Policy. The GSPH is among only five schools in the United States whose MPH concentration in Management and Policy is accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education in addition to being accredited by CEPH.
Affiliated research institutions
- Heart Institute
- San Diego Prevention Research Center
- Institute for Public Health
- Institute for Behavioral and Community Health
- Center for Behavioral Epidemiology and Community Health
- Center for Injury Prevention Policy and Practice
- "San Diego State University". CEPH. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "California". Wagsonline.org. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Institutional Members (US and Canada) | Council of Graduate Schools". Cgsnet.org. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Member Universities". CUGH. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "ARRA: Public Health Traineeships - San Diego State University Foundation ARRA in San Diego, CA". Recovery-and-reinvestment-act.theblaze.com. 2009-09-03. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "WHO | San Diego State University, Program in Global Health, San Diego CA, USA". Who.int. 2011-07-23. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Degrees and Programs, SDSU Graduate School of Public Health". Publichealth.sdsu.edu. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "The Standard of Excellence in Healthcare Management Education Since 1968". CAHME. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Schools of Public Health and Public Health Programs Accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health". Ceph.org. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- Joan Heller Brown, Dominic P. Del Re, Mark A. Sussman (2012-08-03). "The Rac and Rho Hall of Fame". Circres.ahajournals.org. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Partners, San Diego Prevention Research Center". Sdprc.org. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Institute for Public Health, SDSU". Iph.sdsu.edu. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "IBACH". Ibachsd.org. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Center for Behavioral Epidemiology and Community Health". Sci.sdsu.edu. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- David Lawrence (2012-02-23). "Center for Injury Prevention Policy & Practice". Cippp.org. Retrieved 2012-08-10.