||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010)|
6 October 1960 |
Benalla, Victoria, Australia
|Main interests||philosophy of religion, metaphysics, epistemology|
Graham Robert Oppy (born 6 October 1960) is an Australian philosopher whose main area of research is the philosophy of religion. He currently holds the posts of Professor of Philosophy and Associate Dean of Research at Monash University and serves as Associate Editor of the Australasian Journal of Philosophy, and serves on the editorial boards of Philo, Philosopher's Compass, Religious Studies, and Sophia.
Graham Oppy was born in Benalla in 1960 to a Methodist family, but he ceased to be a religious believer as a young teenager. His family moved to Ballarat in 1965 and had his secondary schooling at Wesley College, Melbourne. He attended Melbourne University from 1979, where he completed two degrees: a BA (Hons) in philosophy and a BSc in mathematics. In 1987 he started graduate work at Princeton University under the supervision of Gilbert Harman on questions in the philosophy of language.
He was a lecturer at the University of Wollongong from 1990–1992 and after doing a post-doc at the Australian National University, he came to Monash as a senior lecturer, and was promoted to Professor in 2005. He is currently Associate Dean of Research (since 2004) and Associate Dean of Graduate Studies in the Faculty of Arts at Monash University.
- Ontological Arguments and Belief in God, 1996. ISBN 0-521-48120-1.
- Philosophical Perspectives on Infinity, 2006. ISBN 0-521-86067-9.
- Arguing about Gods, 2006. ISBN 0-521-86386-4.
- "Evolution vs Creationism in Australian Schools" chapter in The Australian Book of Atheism, 2010. ISBN 978-1-921640-76-6.
- The Best Argument against God, 2013. ISBN 978-1-137-35413-6
- Reinventing Philosophy of Religion: An Opinionated Introduction,2014. ISBN 978-1-137-43455-5
Notes and references
- Personal Homepage at Monash University - Includes career summary and highlights and a link to a complete list of publications.
- Graham Oppy articles at Internet Infidels
- Ontological arguments and The Turing Test at the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Interview on contemporary atheism