|Graham Robert Allan|
August 13, 1936|
|Died||August 9, 2007(aged 70)|
|Institutions||University of Cambridge
|Alma mater||Sidney Sussex College, University of Cambridge|
|Thesis||Locally Convex Algebras (1964)|
|Doctoral advisor||Frank Smithies|
|Doctoral students||Ian Craw
H. Garth Dales
|Notable awards||Junior Berwick Prize (1969)|
Graham Robert Allan (1936–2007) was an English mathematician, specializing in Banach algebras. He was a reader in functional analysis and vice-master of Churchill College at Cambridge University.
Allan was born on August 13, 1936 in Southgate, Middlesex, England. After serving in the Royal Air Force from 1955 to 1957, he entered Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, and continued at Cambridge for his graduate studies, earning a Ph.D. in 1964 under the supervision of Frank Smithies. He spent most of the remainder of his career at Cambridge as well, with interludes as a lecturer in pure mathematics at Newcastle University from 1967 to 1969 and as a professor of mathematics at Leeds University from 1970 to 1978. At Cambridge, he was promoted from lecturer to reader in 1980 and was vice-master of Churchill from 1990 to 1993; he supervised the theses of over 20 Cambridge Ph.D. students. Allan retired in 2003, but continued teaching after his retirement. He died on August 9, 2007 in Cambridge.
- Dales, H. G. (October 18, 2007), "Graham Allan: Influential pure mathematician", The Independent.
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Graham Allan", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews..
- Graham Robert Allan at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Obituaries: Graham Allan, Leeds University Campusweb, August 14, 2007.
- Berwick Prizewinners, MacTutor History of Mathematics archive.
- "Graham Robert Allan", London Mathematical Society Newsletter 363, October 2007.
- Helemskii, Alexander Ya. (2008), "In memory of Graham Allan", International Conference on Topological Algebras and their Applications. ICTAA 2008, Math. Stud. (Tartu) 4, Est. Math. Soc., Tartu, pp. 58–59, MR 2482298