|Born||9 July 1940
Christchurch, New Zealand
|Died||18 July 2009 (aged 69)
|Alma mater||Knox College, Otago
Westminster College, Cambridge
|Thesis||The primitive preaching and Jesus of Nazareth: the origin and nature of interest in the character of Jesus (1970)|
|Doctoral advisor||C. F. D. Moule|
Graham Norman Stanton (9 July 1940 – 18 July 2009) was a New Zealander who became a prominent and widely respected New Testament scholar in a teaching career at King's College London and as Lady Margaret's Professor of Divinity at Cambridge University. Stanton's special interests were in the Gospels, with a particular focus on Matthew's Gospel; Paul's letters, with a particular focus on Galatians; and second century Christian writings, with a particular interest in Justin Martyr.
Stanton came to Cambridge in 1966 to study under Professor C.F.D. Moule (at Westminster College and as a member of Fitzwilliam College), his dissertation was completed in 1969 and published in 1974. From 1970-1998 he served as lecturer and (from 1977) as Professor of New Testament at King's College, London. In 1998 he returned to Cambridge as Lady Margaret Professor (and as a Fellow at Fitzwilliam College).
For the year 1996-97, Stanton was the President of the Studiorum Novi Testamenti Societas (Society for New Testament Studies - SNTS), a society of New Testament scholars. For nine years (1982-1990) he was editor of the journal New Testament Studies and of the associated monograph series (1982-1991), and was a General Editor of the International Critical Commentaries (from 1984 until 2009).
Among other honours Stanton was awarded an honorary DD from the University of Otago in 2000; in 2005 he was honored with a Festschrift to mark his sixty-fifth birthday in 2005: The Written Gospel eds. M. Bockmuehl and D. Hagner, Cambridge University Press - this includes a bibliography of Stanton's books and articles up to 2005 (9 authored books, 6 edited books, 60 authored articles or chapters). In 2006 he was awarded the Burkitt Medal by the British Academy for his contribution to biblical studies in the UK. In 2011 a collection of essays discussing various aspects of Stanton's work was published in his memory.
- Graham N. Stanton. Studies in Matthew and Early Christianity. Edited by Markus Bockmuehl and David Lincicum. Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament 309. Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2013.
- Graham N. Stanton. Jesus and Gospel. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- Graham N. Stanton. The Gospels and Jesus. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002.
- Graham N. Stanton. Gospel Truth. HarperCollins Canada / Marshall Picke, 1995.
- Graham N. Stanton. A Gospel For A New People: Studies In Matthew. Westminster John Knox Press, 1993.
- Graham N. Stanton, Jesus of Nazareth in New Testament Preaching SNTS MS 27; Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1974.
- W. R. F. Browning, Graham Stanton, and Richard Coggins, Oxford Dictionary of the Bible, Oxford University Press
- J. D. G. Dunn, Graham N. Stanton, Bruce W. Longenecker, and Stephen C. Barton, The Holy Spirit And Christian Origins: Essays In Honor Of James, 2004
- David F. Ford and Graham Stanton, Reading Texts, Seeking Wisdom, 2004
- Patrick Collinson, Richard Rex, and Graham Stanton, Lady Margaret Beaufort and her Professors of Divinity at Cambridge: 1502 to 1649, 2003
- Graham N. Stanton and Guy G. Stroumsa, eds. Tolerance and Intolerance in Early Judaism and Christianity, Cambridge University Press, 1998.
- Graham Stanton, The Interpretation of Matthew, SPCK/Fortress Press, 1983
- Thompson, David M. (16 October 2009). "Professor Graham Stanton: Biblical scholar who helped guide New Testament studies at Cambridge into the 21st century". The Independent. Retrieved 28 January 2013.
- "Professor Graham Stanton (1940 - 2009)". Cambridge University. 2009-07-22.
- "Celebrated Alumni of the University of Otago".
- "Burkitt Medal for Biblical Studies 2006 Awarded to Professor Graham Stanton".
- Template:''Jesus, Matthew’s Gospel and Early Christianity: Studies in Memory of Graham N. Stanton'' (eds D.M. Gurtner; J. Willits, & R.A. Burridge, LNTS 435; London: T&T Clark, 2011).
- Professor Graham Stanton - Daily Telegraph obituary
-  - J.D.G. Dunn on "Graham Stanton (1940-2009)"
-  - Video on The Parables of Jesus (with J.D.G. Dunn)
-  - Video on Jesus and the Kingdom of God (with J.D.G. Dunn)