Grambling City Hall
|Elevation||308 ft (93.9 m)|
|Area||5.5 sq mi (14.2 km2)|
|- land||5.5 sq mi (14 km2)|
|- water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2), 0%|
|Density||855.4 / sq mi (330.3 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Grambling is a small city in Lincoln Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 4,693 at the 2000 census. The city is home to Grambling State University and is part of the Ruston Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Grambling is located at .(32.527427, -92.713987)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 5.5 square miles (14 km2), of which, 5.5 square miles (14 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (0.36%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,693 people, 1,173 households, and 649 families residing in the town. The population density was 855.4 people per square mile (330.1/km²). There were 1,408 housing units at an average density of 256.6 per square mile (99.0/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 1.07% White, 97.10% African American, 0.11% Native American, 0.15% Asian, 0.53% from other races, and 1.04% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.98% of the population.
There were 1,173 households out of which 24.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 28.0% were married couples living together, 22.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 44.6% were non-families. 31.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.31 and the average family size was 2.99.
The age distribution of the population is: 13.4% under the age of 18, 54.9% from 18 to 24, 12.8% from 25 to 44, 11.2% from 45 to 64, and 7.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 22 years. Both the age distribution and median age are typical of college towns. For every 100 females there are 84.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81.9 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $19,331, and the median income for a family was $27,857. Males had a median income of $22,417 versus $20,842 for females. The per capita income for the town was $8,903. About 30.1% of families and 40.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 48.4% of those under age 18 and 13.6% of those age 65 or over.
Arts and culture
Grambling Memorial Gardens
Public schools in Grambling are operated by the Lincoln Parish School Board. Zoned campuses include Alma J. Brown Elementary School (Grades K-5), Grambling Middle School (Grades 6-8), and Grambling High School (Grades 9-12).
Notable natives and residents
- Jophery Brown, Stuntman and Chicago Cubs pitcher was born in Grambling.
- Ralph Garr, baseball player, attending college at Grambling State University.
- Paul Millsap, professional basketball player with the Atlanta Hawks.
- Eddie Robinson, football coach for Grambling State University.
- Pinkie C. Wilkerson, African American member of the Louisiana House of Representatives from Lincoln, Bienville, and Union parishes from 1992 until her death in a six-vehicle accident in Bossier City in 2000.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Grambling has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "Boundary Changes". Geographic Change Notes: Louisiana. Population Division, United States Census Bureau. 2006-05-19. Retrieved 2008-10-24.
- "The City of Grambling: Historical Information". Reginald Owens. Retrieved 2008-10-24.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Climate Summary for Grambling, Louisiana