Grand Designs Australia
|Grand Designs Australia|
|Presented by||Peter Maddison|
|Theme music composer||David Lowe|
|Opening theme||Grand Designs|
|Country of origin||Australia|
|No. of seasons||5|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV) (2010)
1080i (HDTV) (2011 - present)
|Original run||2010 – present|
Grand Designs Australia is an Australian spin-off of British TV series, Grand Designs. The show documents people who attempt to build a custom-designed house and the challenges they face. It is aired on the The LifeStyle Channel and is hosted by architect, Peter Maddison.
The Australian edition follows its British lead and, generally, begins with Maddison meeting the individuals constructing a "unique" build; this is followed by a CAD (Computer Aided Design, produced by Our Vision) of the layout of the build. As the build progresses, Maddison visits the site to interview the build clients and will, occasionally, interview other persons relevant to the project such as architects and site managers. Finally, Maddison visits the site, at a planned end of the build and interviews the project clients on life in their new house (if completed) and the challenges they encountered in pursuing the project.
Episodes and spin-offs
The series was first broadcast to Australia in October 2010; the first episode aired on 21 October 2010. It was subsequently broadcast by Channel 4 to the UK. The first season was completed with 9 episodes produced and broadcast and finished on 16 December 2010. Season 2 consisted of 10 episodes and began airing on Thursday, 5 April 2012. The first episode of Season 3 was aired on 18 October 2012 and the eighth and final episode was shown on 6 December 2012. Season 4 began airing on 10 October 2013.
Currently older episodes of the show are shown on SBS 6 in the Netherlands
All 4 seasons of Grand Designs Australia have been released on DVD in Australia, either individually or in a box set.
- 'Interview: Peter Maddison on Grand Designs Australia', australian design review, retrieved 23 September 2010. Online version retrieved 21 March 2012.
- Grand Designs Australia, Channel 4. Retrieved 2012-03-21.
- Grand Designs 2013 - Applications, retrieved 6 March 2013.
- Peter Maddison Twitter - 13th May, 2014, retrieved 2 September 2014
- Peter Maddison Twitter - 25th August, 2014, retrieved 2 September 2014
- "Grand Designs Australia Live Sydney 2011". Retrieved 25 May 2010.[dead link]
- "Grand Designs Australia Live is Coming to Melbourne". Retrieved 7 July 2011.[dead link]