Grand Haven State Park
|Grand Haven State Park|
Grand Haven Lighthouses
|Location||Grand Haven, Michigan
Ottawa County, Michigan
|Area||48 acres (19 ha)|
|Governing body||Michigan Department of Natural Resources|
Grand Haven State Park is a 48-acre (0.19 km2) state park in Michigan. The park is located in Grand Haven, Michigan on the coast of Lake Michigan on the south side of the mouth of the Grand River and harbor.
The park has 174 campsites and a very popular beach area. The park is quite sandy throughout and is not wooded. Many campsites have direct views of the lake and lighthouses.
A large pier is next to the state park. The pier is maintained by the United States Army Corps of Engineers while the lighthouse and pierhead fog signal building are maintained by the Coast Guard. The pier connects to a boardwalk on the south side river revetment. The boardwalk extends approximately a mile upstream toward the center of town and features many restaurants and shops. The lighthouse was originally built in 1839 and rebuilt in 1905 at its present location.
The beach and state park were created by the interruption of the littoral drift of sand along the coast caused by the navigation structure which was installed to protect the entrance to the harbor. The harbor and channel are also maintained by the Corps of Engineers, which has a local administrative office located near the east end of the boardwalk.
Facilities and activities
- Fishing: Shoreline fishing is available from the pier.
- Picnic Area
- Picnic Shelter
- Camping: Overnighters will find 174 modern campsites, plus the former park residence, a three-bedroom, ranch-style house now known as Grand Haven Lodge.
- Domm, Robert W. (2008). Lake Michigan Backroads: Your Guide to Wild and Scenic Adventures in Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana, p. 31. MBI Publishing Company.
- Grand Haven State Park - Michigan DNR
- Protected Planet (World Database on Protected Areas) - Grand Haven State Park
|This Michigan-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|