Grand Mesa Scenic and Historic Byway
|Length:||50.4 mi (81.1 km)|
|South end:||SH 65 (South Grand Mesa Drive) in Cedaredge|
|SH 330 southeast of De Beque|
|North end:||I‑70 / US 6 south of De Beque|
Grand Mesa Scenic and Historic Byway, also known at the Grand Mesa National Scenic and Historic Byway, is a scenic byway in Colorado.
The byway runs north from Cedaredge along Highway 65, to the top of the Grand Mesa at more than 10,000 feet (3,000 m). It also includes Land's End Road to the Land's End Observatory from Highway 65. The byway continues past Island Lake, one of more than 300 trout-filled lakes in Grand Mesa National Forest. On the north side of the Mesa are the towns of Mesa, Collbran, and Powderhorn Ski Resort. The byway continues along De Beque Canyon, with its colorful sandstone bluffs, and eventually meets Interstate 70 in the town of De Beque.
Historic and scenic byway designations:
- National Scenic Byway received in 1996.
- Colorado Scenic and Historic Byway by the Colorado Department of Transportation received in 1991.
- Forest Service Byway received in 1992.
Scenic Overlooks include:
- Cedaredge overlook - an easy access overlook
- Land O Lakes overlook - a 1/4 mile moderate walk by foot
- Island Lake - an easy access overlook with restrooms and accessible boat ramp
- Grand Mesa Visitor Center - easy to moderate access with restrooms
- Mesa Lakes Lodge area - an easy to moderate access with restrooms
- Jumbo Lakes area - an easy access overlook with restrooms
- Skyway Point - an easy access
- Powderhorn - an easy access overlook with restrooms
- I-70 pullout and interpretation information
|Delta||Cedaredge||0.0||0.0||SH 65 south|
|Mesa||40.2||64.7||SH 330 east|
|50.4||81.1||I‑70 / US 6|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Microsoft. "Driving directions along route". Bing Maps (Map). Cartography by Nokia. http://www.bing.com/maps/#Y3A9MzkuMTgyNjE2fi0xMDguMjgxMTA1Jmx2bD0xOSZzdHk9ciZydHA9cG9zLjM5LjE4MjYwN18tMTA4LjI4MTM5M18zOS4xODI2MDclMkMlMjAtMTA4LjI4MTM5M19fX2VffnBvcy4zOC45MDEwNDFfLTEwNy45MjM3MTFfMzguOTAxMDQxJTJDJTIwLTEwNy45MjM3MTFfX19lXyZtb2RlPUQmcnRvcD0wfjB+MH4=. Retrieved January 1st, 2015.
- Grand Mesa Scenic Byway Grand Mesa Scenic and Historic Byway Association. 2010-2011.
- Grand Mesa Scenic Byway Map Grand Mesa Scenic and Historic Byway Association. 2010-2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Grand Mesa Scenic and Historic Byway.|