Grand Street Shuttle
The Grand Street Shuttle (black S) was a New York City Subway service that operated during the long Manhattan Bridge rehabilitation project while the north tracks (connecting to the IND Sixth Avenue Line via the Chrystie Street Connection) were closed. It usually ran between Broadway – Lafayette Street and Grand Street, picking up the slack from rerouted or suspended B and D service.
Service disruptions that took the Manhattan Bridge north tracks out of service, with the shuttle running between Broadway–Lafayette Street and Grand Street, included the following:
- March 12, 1984 and August 10 – November 3, 1985 (B and D cut back to West Fourth Street – Washington Square)
- April 30 – November, 1995 (B running only between Atlantic Avenue – Pacific Street and Coney Island – Stillwell Avenue while the D was running between Norwood – 205th Street and 34th Street – Herald Square).
During the first phase of the Manhattan Bridge rehabilitation, from 1986 to 1988, the shuttle was extended to 57th Street / Sixth Avenue and was called the Sixth Avenue Shuttle while the B and D terminated at 34th Street.
The final Grand Street Shuttle service began on July 22, 2001, again between Broadway – Lafayette Street and Grand Street, while the B and D services were truncated to 34th Street. The Sixth Avenue Shuttle (which also ended at Broadway – Lafayette Street) was ended on December 16, 2001 with the rerouting of F trains to the 63rd Street Tunnel and introduction of the V train, and the Grand Street Shuttle was extended north to West Fourth Street – Washington Square. The rehabilitation was finished on February 22, 2004, and the shuttle was discontinued. Also during this time, a shuttle bus ran between Canal Street and Grand Street.
|Station service legend|
|Stops all times|
|Stops all times except late nights|
|Stops late nights only|
|Stops rush hours in the peak direction only|
|Time period details|
|West Fourth Street – Washington Square||F
A C E (IND Eighth Avenue Line)
|PATH at 9th Street|
|Broadway – Lafayette Street||F
4 6 <6> (IRT Lexington Avenue Line at Bleecker Street)
- "Trains Being Rerouted on Manhattan Bridge". The New York Times. March 12, 1984. p. B5. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- "Repair of the Subway Tracks on Manhattan Bridge is Done". The New York Times. Associated Press. November 2, 1985. p. 29. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- Manhattan Bridge Service Changes, MTA service notice, 2001
- New Subway Service!, MTA service notice, February 22, 2004; accessed April 21, 2010
- At the time, there was a transfer to downtown trains only. A bidirectional transfer was created after the shuttle's discontinuation.
- 3 Months Ago, Residents of Queens Were Mad as Hell. Guess What, Brooklyn, Bronx and Manhattan?, MTA service notice, 1985
- Grand Street Shuttle Timetable (2003)