Grand View Memorial Park Cemetery
Grand View Memorial Park Cemetery at 1341 Glenwood Road in Glendale, California was established in 1884 as Glendale Cemetery.
The cemetery was purchased by Len C. Davis in the 1920s, renamed Grand View Memorial Park, and extensively remodeled. A 40 foot entrance arch was added on what is now Glenwood Road. Most of the original evergreen cypress trees that had been planted were removed and the land was turned into an amphitheater where more than 1,000 plots were laid out. 800 camphor and 200 bottle trees were then planted to provide shade. A large mausoleum was later built which contained 5700 crypts and 2000 niches for cremated remains. The mausoleum stretches over 1,000 feet and provides an exterior wall from Kenneth Road to Glenwood Road.
The cemetery was voluntarily closed by the owners on July 13, 2006, citing financial difficulties.
Since the closure of the cemetery in 2006 the city of Glendale, California has been working with the owners to allow visitation access and keep the property safe and presentable. As of 2012, the cemetery was staffed by volunteers and open for limited hours on Sunday afternoons.
As of May 2014 Grand View Memorial Park is under new ownership. While still open on a limited basis due to renovations, it is expected the Cemetery will be open daily by the end of 2014.
- Earle D. Baker (1888-1987), Los Angeles City Council member
- Oscar Beregi, Jr. (1918-1976), actor
- Madge Blake (1899-1969), actress
- Leo G. Carroll (1886-1972), actor
- Dorothy Coburn (1904-1978), actress
- Alec Craig (1884–1945), actor
- Nigel De Brulier (1877-1948), actor
- Sam "The Fighting Jew" Dreben (1878-1925), "Soldier of Fortune"
- Kenne Duncan (1902-1972), actor
- Verna Felton (1890-1966), actress
- Alec B. Francis (1867-1934), actor
- Lee Garmes (1898-1978), cinematographer
- Harry Langdon (1884-1944), actor and comedian
- Jack Lelivelt (1885-1941), MLB player and manager
- Cleo Madison (1883-1964), actress and director
- Lafayette McKee (1872-1959), actor
- Gus Meins (1893-1940), director
- Edna Purviance (1894-1958), actress
- Wally Rehg (1888-1946), MLB player
- Manning Sherwin (1899-1974), composer
- Guy Standing (1873-1937), actor
- Homer Summa (1898-1966), baseball player
- Dolph Sweet (1920-1985), actor
- Leo White (1873-1948), actor
- Chill Wills (1902-1978), actor
- Clara Kimball Young (1890-1960), actress
- Grand View Memorial Park (dot) Info accessed September 23, 2009
- Grand View Memorial Park Notice at California Department of Consumer Affairs Cemetery and Funeral Bureau website accessed September 23, 2009
- Grand View Cemetery Info at City of Glendale, California website accessed September 23, 2009