Grande Sports World
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010)|
|Headquarters||Casa Grande, Arizona|
Grande Sports World  is a 40-acre (160,000 m2), $20 million athletic training and physical rehabilitation complex adjacent to the Francisco Grande Hotel & Golf Resort located in Casa Grande, Arizona, approximately 45 minutes from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. The hotel and golf course was originally developed as the Spring Training headquarters for the San Francisco Giants.
The Grande Sports World ("GSW") complex includes a 58,000-square-foot (5,400 m2) training and conditioning building, which exceeds the quality found in most professional sports training facilities. The sports performance building has four professional locker rooms with 284 full-size professional lockers; physical therapy and rehabilitation areas; 16 meeting rooms/classrooms with each accommodating up to 30 people; and a 10,000-square-foot (930 m2) training and conditioning area with state-of-the-art equipment, and two physical therapy pools. In addition, nine soccer/lacrosse/football/rugby/field hockey fields are available with professional lighting on six of the eight fields.
GSW is unique in that it is a multi-sport team training facility that offers athletes the opportunity to have their hotel, all of their meals, the fields, and their training and conditioning located in an attractive campus environment in one convenient location.
U.S. Soccer Development Academy - Real Salt Lake-AZ
The U.S. Soccer Federation  approved GSW as a U.S. Soccer Development Academy  affiliated with Real Salt Lake of Major League Soccer (MLS) for Under-16 and Under-18 boys in Arizona. Ten members of the academy have previously played for one of the U.S. National teams. This is the first and only soccer residency program in America associated with an MLS team. The academy teams are coached and trained by the GSW Soccer Staff to compete at the highest level in the United States and to eventually play at the collegiate, professional and international level.
- 2012-13 USSDA U-15/16 National Champions
- 2012-13 USSDA “Style of Play” Award
- Every GSA graduate has been offered a college scholarship or signed a professional contract. Universities GSA graduates attend are
- Over forty GSA graduates play college soccer (Stanford, UCLA, Washington, Marquette, Louisville, Elon, New Mexico, UCI, Virginia, Clemson, Air Force, South Carolina, SMU, Denver, Oregon State University, College of Charleston, Louisville, San Diego State University, UCI, Dayton, Grand Canyon University and more)
- Four GSA graduates (Carlos Salcedo, Lalo Fernández, Benji Lopez, Nico Muñiz) have signed with Real Salt Lake
- One GSA player (Eriq Zavaleta) has signed a professional contract with Seattle Sounders
- One GSA graduate (Maikon Orellana) signed a professional contract with Brøndby IF of the Superliga, Denmark's top division
- One GSA player (Ben Spencer) has signed a professional contract with Molde FK of the Tippeligan, Norwegian’s top division
- One GSA player (Kainoa Bailey) has signed a professional contract with Bayer 04 Leverkusen of the Bundesliga, Germany's top division
- One GSA player (Romain Gall) has signed a professional contract with FC Lorient of the Ligue 1, France's top division
- Multiple RSL-AZ players currently compete for the US National Teams
- Multiple RSL-AZ players played for the Real Salt Lake Reserve team last season
- 2010-11 U-15/16 USSDA Starting XI (Julio Alarcon)
- 2010-11 U-17/18 USSDA Starting XI (Mikon Orellana)
- 2011-12 U-17/18 West Conference Starting XI (Julio Alarcon, Maikon Orellana, Carlos Salcedo)
- 2011-12 U-17/18 West Conference Player of the Year (Maikon Orellana)
- 2011-12 U-15/16 West Conference Starting XI (Jordan Allen)
- 2011-12 U-15/16 West Conference Player of the Year (Jordan Allen)
- 2011-12 U-15/16 USSDA Academy Player of the Year (Jordan Allen)
- 2011-12 Academy Coach of the Year (Mike Munoz)
- 2011-12 NSCAA All-Americans (Cole Nagy, Maikon Orellana)
- 2012-13 U-17/18 West Conference Starting XI (Jose "Coco" Navarro, Ive Burnett)
- 2012-13 U-15/16 West Conference Starting XI (Justen Glad, Jose Hernandez)
Soccer Coaching Staff
GSW's soccer staff is composed of MLS and US National and Mexican National Team veterans. No soccer camp or academy in American has a soccer coaching staff with the amount of actual professional playing time competing at the highest levels and as qualified as the staff at GSW.
Martin Vasquez, the Grande Sports Academy Head Coach and the Director of Soccer, is also the First Assistant coach for Jurgen Klinsmann, Head Coach of the US Men's National Team. Martin is a former US National and Mexican National team player, Mexican First Division professional player, MLS player, and MLS Head Coach. Martin was an assistant coach to Klinsmann at FC Bayern Munich, under Klinsmann.
|Vásquez, MartínMartín Vásquez||USA|
|Juarez, FreddyFreddy Juarez||USA|
|Bruce, TonyTony Bruce||Scotland|
|Kraus, MichaelMichael Kraus||USA|
|Hernandez, IgnacioIgnacio Hernandez||Mexico|
The 103-room Francisco Grande Hotel and Golf Resort was built in 1961 by Horace Stoneham, then the owner of the San Francisco Giants baseball club as the Giant's spring training facility. The ballroom can accommodate up to 400 people, there are meeting rooms, restaurant, bar, swimming pool and considerable space on the hotel grounds for other outdoor activities. The resort received a $10 million renovation in 2003. A beautiful tree-lined golf course adjoins the resort.
The fifty-year old golf course at the Francisco Grande Hotel and Golf Resort is 7,500 years in length (depending on the chosen tee), one of the longest in Arizona, and was designed by Ralph Plummer, the architect for the Colonial in Fort Worth, Tryall in Jamaica and Ben Hogan's home course, Shady Oaks in Fort Worth. The tree-lined golf course has approximately 1,500 trees and adjoins the resort.
- YouTube - Grande Sports World training equipment and machinery
- Overview - U.S. Soccer
- Real Salt Lake Development Academy Hopes To Sparkle | 90:00 Soccer
- Espn Rise High School Soccer - Espn Rise | High School Sports Rankings, Results, Training, Performance, College Recruiting | How To Win
- Local HS soccer players reaping benefits of new Academy | PHXFan.com
- TriValley Central