||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2014)|
18 April 1961 |
Bronx, New York, US
|Origin||The Bronx, New York, US|
|Labels||Tuff City (US), Ol' Skool Flava (US), Jazz Child Records (US), Chrysalis (US), Toshiba EMI Ltd (US), Beyongolia (US), 360° Records (US)|
|Associated acts||The Notorious 2
Cold Crush Brothers
Grandmaster Caz (born April 18, 1961), is an American rapper and DJ. He currently works as a celebrity tour guide for Hush Hip Hop Tours, a hip-hop cultural sightseeing tour company in New York City, and is a Board member of The Universal Federation for the Preservation of Hip Hop Culture.
Caz first encountered rap in 1974 at a Kool Herc block party. Shortly after, he teamed with DJ Disco Wiz under the name Casanova Fly to form one of the first DJ Crews, Mighty Force. Caz was also the first rapper to perform both DJ (Record) and MC (Vocal) duties.
In the late 1970s, he joined The Cold Crush Brothers.
Currently hosts Hush Hip Hop Tours the official Sightseeing Tour of Harlem and The Bronx. http://hushtours.com/
Caz was interviewed for the documentary Just to Get a Rep released in 2004.
In 2008, he was one of the participants at the Cornell University Library conference on Hip Hop.
Sugar Hill Gang Controversy
A 2009 book claims that the lyrics for The Sugar Hill Gang's seminal Rapper's Delight were plagiarized from the then-unpublished Caz's lyrics. In 2000, he set his account of the controversy in the song MC Delight. He claims in the song that he wrote the lyrics of Big Bank Hank, who had been the manager of his band, but never received any royalties or thanks for it.
In 1998, Caz was listed #11 out of Blaze Magazine's Top 50 MCs of all Time. He was also inducted into the Technics DJ Hall of Fame in 1999.
In June 2008, Grandmaster Caz was inducted into the Bronx Walk of Fame. A street plaque bearing his name is now on permanent display on the Grand Concourse, the most famous thoroughfare in the Bronx.
- The Grandest Of Them All (LP) Tuff City 1992
- You Need Stitches: The Tuff City Sessions 1982-1988 (LP) Ol' Skool Flava 2004
- Rare & Unreleased Old School Hip Hop '86-'87 (LP) Ol' Skool Flava 2006
- Mid Life Crisis (CD, Album) Jazz Child Records 2008
Singles & EPs
- Grandmaster Caz & Chris Stein - Wild Style Theme Rap 1 Chrysalis 1983
- Grand Master Caz* & Chris Stein - Wild Style Theme Rap No.1 (12", Promo) Toshiba EMI Ltd 1983
- Yvette / Mister Bill (12") Tuff City 1985
- Count Basey (12") Tuff City 1986
- Get Down Grandmaster / I'm Caz (12") Tuff City 1987
- You Need Stitches (12") Tuff City 1989
- Star Search (12") Tuff City 1992
- Grandmaster Caz with Whipper Whip* - To All The Party People (12") Tuff City 1994
- 45 King Old School Remixes Vol. 4 (12", EP) Ol' Skool Flava 1996
- Grandmaster Caz & Chris Stein - Wild Style Theme Rap 1 / Wild Style Subway Rap Beyongolia 1998
- DJ Parker Lee Presents: Grandmaster Caz (12") Jazz Child Records 1999
- MC Delight (Casanova's Revenge) (12") Jazz Child Records 2000
- Grandmaster Caz & DJ Signify - Untitled (7") Grandgood Records 2003
- Grandmaster Caz & DJ Haitian Star - Move The Crowd / Scene Of The Rhyme (12", Ltd) 360° Records (2) 2005
- Capitol 1212 and Grandmaster Caz - Encore, Sure you Want More 12" Kool Kat records 2008
- Wild Style Soundtrack 1983
- Crotona Park Jams (CD, Comp, Mixed) (Grandmaster Caz Self-released) 2008
- RareHipHop.com & Grandmaster Caz - Underground Heat Vol 1
- The Hip Hop Federation Team Roster, retrieved July 30, 2011
- Hip Hop Network biographies, retrieved July 29, 2011
- Hess, Mickey (2009). Hip Hop in America: A Regional Guide. ABC-CLIO. p. xxxiii. ISBN 978-0-313-34323-0.
- Hip Hop Press, retrieved July 29, 2011
- Sanchez, Ivan; Luis Cedeño. It's Just Begun. Perseus Books Group. ISBN 978-1-57687-494-3.
- Cornell University Library Hip Hop Collection, retrieved July 29, 2011
- Double Exposure Profile, retrieved July 30, 2011
- MLC magazine, Cory Gunz Recalls Initial Meeting With Lil WAyne, Bronx Hip Hop Influences
- Hess, Mickey (2009). Hip Hop in America: A Regional Guide: Volume 1: East Coast and West Coast. Greenwood. ISBN 0-313-34323-3.
- Cincy Groove Magazine Interview with Grandmaster Caz",retrieved July 30, 1998
- Bronx Walk of Fame 2008 Inductees, retrieved July 30, 2011