The Grange Estate
|Location||143 Myrtle Avenue, Havertown, Pennsylvania|
|Area||9.9 acres (4.0 ha)|
|NRHP Reference #||76001636|
|Added to NRHP||January 11, 1976|
The Grange Estate, also known as Maen-Coch and Clifton Hall, is a historic mansion in Havertown, Pennsylvania, near Philadelphia, in Delaware County, Pennsylvania. Built in 1700 and expanded several times through the 1850s, it was purchased by Haverford Township in 1974. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 as The Grange.
The house was owned by patriot and Philadelphia merchant John Ross during the late 18th century, who named his country estate after the home of Lafayette. Ross's house was frequented by several notable historic figures, including George Washington and Lafayette.
In 1815, the house was purchased by Manuel Eyre, Jr., son of Washington aide Manuel Eyre, who served with Washington during the Revolution. The Eyre family held the estate longer than any other, first from 1815 to 1846, and then, through their Ashhurst cousins, from 1848 to 1911.
The last family to occupy the mansion did so from 1913 until 1974, when it was sold to the Haverford Historical Society.
The mansion is now maintained as a museum and community center. Regular tours are available from April to October and during the December holidays.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- Fall in PA: Historic Grange Estate
- What are some Great Gardens to visit in PA?
- "National Historic Landmarks & National Register of Historic Places in Pennsylvania" (Searchable database). CRGIS: Cultural Resources Geographic Information System. Note: This includes Elizabeth Donaghy and Sally McMurry (July 1970). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form: The Grange" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- The Historic Grange Estate
- H.G. Ashmead, History of Delaware County, p. 578, 1884.
- H.D. Eberlein and H.M. Lippincott, The Colonial Homes of Philadelphia and Its Neighbourhood, J.B. Lippincott Co., Phila. and London, 1912.
- The Grange Estate
- Photograph (1897) at Bryn Mawr College
- Maen-Coch, 200 Grove Place (Haverford Township), Havertown, Delaware County, PA: 8 photos, 4 data pages, and 1 photo caption page at Historic American Buildings Survey