Granite Broadcasting Corporation
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (September 2008)|
|Headquarters||767 Third Avenue
New York City USA
|Key people||W. Don Cornwell and Stuart Beck, Founders|
Granite Broadcasting Corporation is a broadcasting holding company in New York City which owns or operates via local marketing agreements fourteen television stations in the United States, mainly in the Midwest and Upstate New York, along with one station in the San Francisco Bay Area. Granite was founded by W. Don Cornwell and Stuart Beck in 1988 , and was the first African-American station group in the United States considered to be a "major" station operator (though not the first minority-owned chain, a distinction held by the Aleut-owned Cook Inlet Broadcasting).
Granite declared Chapter 11 (reorganization) bankruptcy on December 11, 2006, mainly due to the complications of the 2006 United States broadcast TV realignment which nullified the sales of the group's Detroit and San Francisco The WB affiliates due to those stations being left out of The CW because of CBS Corporation-owned stations in both cities taking the affiliation by default. It emerged from bankruptcy in June 2007 under the control of private equity firm Silver Point Capital (which also took over ComCorp later that year).
In February 2014, Granite reached deals to sell the majority of its stations. WKBW and WMYD will be sold to the E.W. Scripps Company for $110 million (the latter forming a duopoly with Scripps-owned ABC affiliate WXYZ-TV), and sell a number of it and Malara Broadcast Group's small-market stations to Quincy Newspapers and SagamoreHill Broadcasting (which will operate the LMA-controlled stations Granite currently provides services to for Quincy).
List of stations
|City of license / Market||Station||Channel TV (RF)||Owned Since||Current Affiliation|
|San Francisco, CA||KOFY-TV||20 (19)||1998||Independent
|Peoria, IL||WEEK-TV 1||25 (25)||1989||NBC|
The CW (DT2)
|Fort Wayne, IN||WISE-TV 4||33 (18)||2004||NBC
|WPTA 1, 5||21 (24)||2004
(Owned by Granite outright from 1989-2004)
The CW (DT2)
|Detroit, MI||WMYD 6||20 (21)||1997||MyNetworkTV|
|Duluth, MN - Superior, WI||KBJR-TV 1||6 (19)||1989||NBC
|KDLH 4, 5||3 (33)||2005||CBS
The CW (DT2)
|Chisholm, MN||KRII 1
(Satellite of KBJR)
|Binghamton, NY||WBNG 1||12 (7)||2006||CBS
The CW (DT2)
|Buffalo, NY||WKBW-TV 6||7 (38)||1995||ABC|
|Syracuse, NY||WTVH 7||5 (47)||1993||CBS|
- 1 Sale to Quincy Newspapers, pending FCC approval.
- 2 Owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group, Granite operates WHOI under a Shared Services Agreement (SSA). To be managed by Quincy Newspapers thereafter.
- 3 Owned by Venture Technologies Group, Granite operates WAOE under a SSA. To be managed by Quincy Newspapers thereafter.
- 4 Sale to SagamoreHill Broadcasting, pending FCC appoval; to be operated by Quincy Newspapers thereafter.
- 5 Owned by Malara Broadcast Group, Granite operates these stations under a Local marketing agreement.
- 6 Sale to E.W. Scripps Company, pending FCC approval.
- 7 Owned by Granite, WTVH is operated by Sinclair under a SSA.
Former Granite-owned Stations
|City of license / Market||Station||Channel TV (RF)||Years Owned||Current Ownership Status|
|Fresno, CA||KSEE||24 (38)||1993-2013||NBC affiliate owned by Nexstar Broadcasting Group|
|San Jose, CA||KNTV||11 (12)||1989-2002||NBC owned-and-operated (O&O)|
|Kalamazoo, MI||WWMT||3 (8)||1995-1998||CBS affiliate owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group|
|Lansing, MI||WLAJ||53 (51)||1996-1998||ABC affiliate owned by Shield Media, LLC
(operated through a LMA by Media General)
|Austin, TX||KBVO-TV/KEYE-TV||42 (43)||1992-1999||CBS affiliate owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group|
- "Granite Broadcasting Voluntarily Files Petition for Reorganization" (Press release). Granite Broadcasting Corporation. 2006-12-11. Retrieved 2006-12-12.
- Scripps Buying Granite TVs in Buffalo, Detroit, TVNewsCheck, Retrieved 10 February 2014
- "Quincy Buying Stations From Granite, Malara". TVNewsCheck. February 11, 2014. Retrieved February 11, 2014.
- Company Site
- Company Profile @ Forbes
- List of company contacts and locations
- Don Cornwell interview April 17, 2000