Granite County, Montana
|Granite County, Montana|
Location in the state of Montana
Montana's location in the U.S.
1,733 sq mi (4,488 km²)
1,727 sq mi (4,473 km²)
6 sq mi (16 km²), 0.33%
3/sq mi (1/km²)
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,733 square miles (4,488.4 km2), of which 1,727 square miles (4,472.9 km2) is land and 6 square miles (15.5 km2) (0.33%) is water.
Major highways 
Adjacent counties 
- Missoula County, Montana - north
- Powell County, Montana - east
- Deer Lodge County, Montana - south
- Ravalli County, Montana - west
|Ravalli County||Powell County|
|Deer Lodge County|
National protected areas 
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,830 people, 1,200 households, and 784 families residing in the county. The population density was 2 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 2,074 housing units at an average density of 1 per square mile (0/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 96.25% White, 1.27% Native American, 0.14% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.46% from other races, and 1.84% from two or more races. 1.27% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 17.8% were of German, 13.5% English, 13.1% Irish, 8.3% American and 7.2% Norwegian ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 1,200 households out of which 27.10% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.70% were married couples living together, 7.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.60% were non-families. 30.10% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.30% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.33 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.20% under the age of 18, 5.70% from 18 to 24, 23.30% from 25 to 44, 30.80% from 45 to 64, and 15.90% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 105.10 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.60 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $27,813, and the median income for a family was $33,485. Males had a median income of $26,250 versus $17,961 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,636. About 13.90% of families and 16.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 24.20% of those under age 18 and 8.50% of those age 65 or over.
See also 
- List of cemeteries in Granite County, Montana
- List of lakes in Granite County, Montana
- List of mountains in Granite County, Montana
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Granite County, Montana
Further reading 
- Loen, J.S., M.J. Blaskowski, and J.E. Elliott. (1989). Geology and mineral deposits of the Miners Gulch Area, Granite County, Montana [U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin 1791]. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey.