Granite Hills High School (El Cajon, California)
|Granite Hills High School|
|Location||1719 East Madison Avenue,
El Cajon, California, USA
|District||Grossmont Union High School District|
|Accreditation||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
|Colors||Navy blue and Columbia blue|
|Mascot||Ernie the Eagle|
|Website||Granite Hills High School|
Granite Hills High School is a California Distinguished School public, comprehensive high school located in El Cajon, California and serves students in grades nine through twelve. Opened in 1960, Granite Hills is one of thirteen high schools in the Grossmont Union High School District. GHHS is the home of the Eagles. Granite Hills High School has been an IB World School since July 2001.
Nestled in the granite hills, fly our colors white and blue, high above the mountain crest, we soar as eagles proud and true. Rising high with pride and honor, to our victory we will soar, granite hills our alma mater, eagles now and ever more.
Note: In the 1970s, the Alma Mater was as follows:
Granite Hills our Alma Mater, nestled in your mountain crown, let every son and daughter true, add to your honor, fame renown, years of most treasured memories, home of our loyalty.
During fifth period, minutes after lunch period had ended on March 22, 2001, 18-year old GHHS Senior Jason Hoffman arrived on campus and opened fire on the attendance office, which also houses the principal and vice principals' offices, from the outside. Five people were either injured by shrapnel or suffered severe symptoms from the traumatic experience but few victims incurred bullet wounds. Hoffman was shot in the buttocks and jaw. He was arrested by police officer Rich Agundez, who had been on campus during school hours since the shooting two weeks earlier at a high school within the same district, Santana High School. Hoffman would later commit suicide by hanging himself from bedsheets in his prison cell in November 2002.
Recently Granite Hills has been undergoing some construction to many of its classes. The football field has also been renovated.
It was discovered that Granite's soil contains a large amount of carcinogens. As of January, 2009, studies were in progress and the source of contamination was unknown. Tainted dirt has also been found at other schools in the district. In January 2009 the long time eagle statue, "Ernie", was ripped off of its base by vandals and destroyed.
Granite Hills Marching Band
The students in the GHHS Marching Band perform at the Mother Goose Parade, Christmas in the lights, Alpine Parade, and at every home football game especially the Homecoming game. The marching Eagles also go to "Band Night" featuring the SDSU Marching Aztecs and gathering other marching bands from the GUHSD District. Popular tunes such as the "007 Theme" and "Bon Jovi Theme" highlight the "GUHSD Marching Band and Color Guard Field Show Extravaganza" held every year. During second semester they do winter and spring concerts as the "Concert Band". Some are joint concerts with middle schools from Cajon Valley School District.
Granite Hills is the only school in the GUHSD to offer every CIF sanctioned sport.
- Brian Giles, 1989, Major League Baseball right fielder, San Diego Padres and previously Cleveland Indians and Pittsburgh Pirates
- Marcus Giles, 1996, Major League Baseball second baseman, San Diego Padres, Atlanta Braves
- Jimmie Johnson, 1993, 6 time (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2013) NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion
- Joe Roth, 1973, former All-American quarterback at the University of California, Berkeley
- Julia Schultz, 1997, model and actress
- Shane Spencer, 1990, Nippon Professional Baseball outfielder, Hanshin Tigers and previously Major League Baseball New York Yankees, Toronto Blue Jays, Texas Rangers, Cleveland Indians, and New York Mets
- Tommy Vardell, 1987, NFL San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns and Detroit Lions
- David Lee, 1999, U.S. Olympic Volleyball Team, 2008 and 2012
- List of high schools in California
- List of high schools in San Diego County, California
- List of high schools in Grossmont Union High School District
- Carcinogen discovered in soil at 5 schools by Leonel Sanchez, signonsandiego.com (Union-Tribune) January 16, 2009
- Granite Hills High School website
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges Directory of Accredited Schools 2005-2006 (PDF)