Grant County, New Mexico
|Grant County, New Mexico|
Grant County Courthouse in Silver City
Location in the state of New Mexico
New Mexico's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Ulysses S. Grant|
|Largest town||Silver City|
|• Total||3,968 sq mi (10,277 km2)|
|• Land||3,966 sq mi (10,272 km2)|
|• Water||2 sq mi (5 km2), 0.04%|
|• Density||8/sq mi (3/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
Grant County comprises the Silver City, NM Micropolitan Statistical Area.
- Catron County, New Mexico - north
- Sierra County, New Mexico - east
- Luna County, New Mexico - southeast
- Hidalgo County, New Mexico - south
- Greenlee County, Arizona - west
National protected area
- Gila National Forest (part)
Whereas according to the 2010 U.S. Census Bureau:
- 84.9% White
- 0.9% Black
- 1.4% Native American
- 0.4% Asian
- 0.1% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
- 2.8% Two or more races
- 9.8% Other races
- 48.3% Hispanic or Latino (of any race)
As of the census of 2000, there were 31,002 people, 12,146 households, and 8,514 families residing in the county. The population density was 8 people per square mile (3/km²). There were 14,066 housing units at an average density of 4 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 75.67% White, 0.52% Black or African American, 1.35% Native American, 0.29% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 19.02% from other races, and 3.11% from two or more races. 48.79% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 12,146 households out of which 31.30% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.70% were married couples living together, 12.90% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.90% were non-families. 25.70% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.70% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.50 and the average family size was 3.01.
In the county the population was spread out with 26.20% under the age of 18, 8.50% from 18 to 24, 23.70% from 25 to 44, 25.10% from 45 to 64, and 16.50% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 95.10 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.30 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $29,134, and the median income for a family was $34,231. Males had a median income of $31,126 versus $19,627 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,597. About 15.10% of families and 18.70% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.90% of those under age 18 and 9.50% of those age 65 or over.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 29, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 141.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 29, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Greenlee County, Arizona||Sierra County|
|Hidalgo County||Luna County|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Grant County, New Mexico.|