Grant Thornton International
|Type||Global network of independent member firms|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Key people||Ed Nusbaum, CEO
Grant Thornton International Ltd
Specialist advisory services
Privately held business services
|Revenue||$4.5 billion USD (2013)|
Grant Thornton is the world's sixth largest professional services network of independent accounting and consulting member firms which provide assurance, tax and advisory services to privately held businesses, public interest entities, and public sector entities. Grant Thornton International Ltd is a not-for-profit, non-practicing, international umbrella membership entity organized as a private company limited by guarantee. Grant Thornton is incorporated in London, United Kingdom, and has no share capital.
According to Grant Thornton International Ltd, member firms within the global organization operate in over 125 countries. Combined global revenues from member firms in 2013 was US$4.5billion. There are over 2,500 member firm partners and total member firm personnel of over 38,500.
In 1924, 26-year-old Alexander Richardson Grant founded Alexander Grant & Co. in Chicago. Grant had been a senior accountant with Ernst & Ernst (now EY). Alexander Grant was committed to providing services to mid-sized companies.
When Grant died in 1938, Alexander Grant & Co. survived the change in leadership and continued to grow nationally. In 1969, Alexander Grant & Co. joined with firms from Australia, Canada, and the United States to establish the organization of Alexander Grant Tansley Witt. This organization operated successfully for 10 years.
By 1980, Alexander Grant & Co. joined with 49 other accounting firms, including Thornton Baker in the UK, a firm with similar qualities, clients, personnel numbers and values, to form a global organization, Grant Thornton. In 1986, Alexander Grant & Co. changed its name to Grant Thornton, reflecting its affiliation with the United Kingdom firm Thornton Baker, which also changed its name to Grant Thornton.
Recent significant mergers
- Grant Thornton UK merged with RSM Robson Rhodes in July 2007
- Grant Thornton Russia merged with Rosexpertiza in January 2012
- Grant Thornton China merged with Ascenda CPA in January 2012
- In May 2012 Grant Thornton Australia merged with several former BDO offices in Melbourne and Sydney.
- In July 2013, Grant Thorton Johannesburg merged with the local PKF member firm.
Although many of the firms now carry the Grant Thornton international name, they are not all members of one international partnership. Each member firm is a separate national entity, and governs itself and manages its administrative matters independently on a local basis. This is similar to other professional services networks.
Member firms include:
- Australia - Grant Thornton
- Canada - Grant Thornton LLP, Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton
- Czechia - Grant Thornton
- France - Grant Thornton
- Germany - Warth & Klein Grant Thornton AG
- Ireland - Grant Thornton
- India - Grant Thornton India LLP
- Philippines - Punongbayan & Araullo
- Russia - Grant Thornton Russia
- Japan - Grant Thornton Japan
- Sweden - Grant Thornton Sweden AB
- The Netherlands - Grant Thornton NL
- New Zealand - Grant Thornton New Zealand
- Nigeria - Grant Thornton Nigeria
- United Kingdom - Grant Thornton UK LLP
- United States - Grant Thornton LLP
- Republic of Korea - Daemyung Grant Thornton
- Spain - Grant Thornton España
- United Arab Emirates - Grant Thornton UAE
Grant Thornton member firms service international work through their local International Business Centres—located in 40 major commercial centers throughout the world.
Grant Thornton International Ltd carries out an annual global research project: the International Business Report, which surveys the views and expectations of over 11,500 privately held businesses across 40 economies.
Foo Kon Tan Grant Thornton is the Singapore member firm of Grant Thornton International. The Singapore firm provides services in tax, audit and assurance as well as business recovery, risk management, IT audit and digital forensic services. The firm is currently led by 1 partner and services clients ranging from the construction industry to the public sector and quasi governmental organisations.
- "Auditors join forces to take on Big Four", Daily Telegraph, 28 April 2007
- Grant Thornton International Limited Member firms http://www.gti.org/Member-firms/Member-firm.asp
- Grant Thornton international business report http://www.internationalbusinessreport.com/
- Grant Thornton International, http://www.gti.org