Grant Thornton International
|Global network of independent member firms|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Ed Nusbaum, Global CEO
Grant Thornton International Ltd
Privately held business services
|Revenue||$4.7 billion USD (2014)|
Number of employees
Grant Thornton is one of the world’s leading organisations of independent assurance, tax and advisory firms.
Grant Thornton provides valued services to organisations with the potential to grow, to operate internationally, that needed to adapt to market conditions and deal with complex events or transactions.
Grant Thornton are a leading business adviser helping dynamic organisations around the world unlock their potential for growth by delivering meaningful and forward looking advice.
Grant Thornton has more than 40,000 people in over 130 countries, working with privately owned, publicly listed and public sector clients each day. They are a global organisation, who combine an understanding of both the local market and dynamic economies across the world to help support clients no matter where they choose to do business.
In 2014, Grant Thornton's combined global revenues from member firms was US$4.7 billion.
In 1924, 26-year-old Alexander Richardson Grant founded Alexander Grant & Co. in Chicago. Grant had been a senior accountant with Ernst & Ernst (now EY). Alexander Grant was committed to providing services to mid-sized companies.
When Grant died in 1938, Alexander Grant & Co. survived the change in leadership and continued to grow nationally. In 1969, Alexander Grant & Co. joined with firms from Australia, Canada, and the United States to establish the organization of Alexander Grant Tansley Witt. This organization operated successfully for 10 years.
By 1980, Alexander Grant & Co. joined with 49 other accounting firms, including Thornton Baker in the UK, a firm with similar qualities, clients, personnel numbers and values, to form a global organization, Grant Thornton. In 1986, Alexander Grant & Co. changed its name to Grant Thornton, reflecting its affiliation with the United Kingdom firm Thornton Baker, which also changed its name to Grant Thornton.
Network of the year 2013: Grant Thornton was named International Accounting Bulletin’s ‘Network of the year’. The IAB is the only magazine to cover the global accounting profession
Universum Top 50 world’s most attractive employer: More than 200,000 students named Grant Thornton one of the top 50 most attractive global employers.
Recent significant mergers
- Grant Thornton UK merged with RSM Robson Rhodes in July 2007
- Grant Thornton China merged with Ascenda CPA in January 2012
- In May 2012 Grant Thornton Australia merged with several former BDO offices in Melbourne and Sydney.
- In July 2013, Grant Thorton Johannesburg merged with the local PKF member firm.
Although many of the firms now carry the Grant Thornton international name, they are not all members of one international partnership. Each member firm is a separate national entity, and governs itself and manages its administrative matters independently on a local basis. This is similar to other professional services networks.
For a full list of member firms please visit www.grantthornton.global/locations/
Grant Thornton International Ltd carries out an annual global research project: the International Business Report, which surveys the views and expectations of over 11,500 privately held businesses across 40 economies.
Global coverage (as of 1 April 2014):
(30 September 2014)
- Grant Thornton website "Grant Thornton posts annual revenues of US$4.7 billion"
- The History of Grant Thornton "The History of Grant Thornton"
- International Accounting Bulletin's Network of the Year 2013 "Network of the Year 2013: Grant Thornton"
- Universum Top 50 world’s most attractive employers "Universum Top 50 world’s most attractive employers: Grant Thornton"
- "Auditors join forces to take on Big Four", Daily Telegraph, 28 April 2007
- Grant Thornton International Limited Member firms http://www.grantthornton.global/locations/
- Grant Thornton international business report http://www.internationalbusinessreport.com/
- http://www.GrantThornton.global "Grant Thornton global website"