Grantham and Stamford (UK Parliament constituency)
|Grantham and Stamford|
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of Grantham and Stamford in Lincolnshire.
Location of Lincolnshire within England.
|Electorate||79,118 (December 2010)|
|Member of Parliament||Nicholas Boles (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Grantham, and Stamford & Spalding|
|European Parliament constituency||East Midlands|
The constituency covers the towns Grantham and Stamford in Lincolnshire with surrounding villages. Most of the constituency was formerly in the Stamford and Spalding constituency. As well as the two Lincolnshire constituencies that it neighbours (Sleaford and South Holland), it neighbours Rutland and Melton to the west, and North West Cambridgeshire to the south. All five are academically considered, based on results in recent elections, Conservative safe seats.
Following a Boundary Commission review in 2001, the constituency's boundary with Sleaford constituency saw more wards ceded to the Sleaford seat and all of Truesdale was united into this seat, which before was shared with South Holland and the Deepings. The recommendation saw an estimated electorate size of 73,336 comprising: twenty-five wards of the District of South Kesteven:
- All Saints, Aveland, Belmont, Bourne East, Bourne West, Earlesfield, Forest, Glen Eden, Grantham St John's, Green Hill, Greyfriars, Harrowby, Hillsides, Isaac Newton, Lincrest, Morkery, Ringstone, St Anne's, St George's, St Mary's, St Wulfram's, Stamford St John's, Thurlby, Toller and Truesdale.
The new boundary does not include Barrowby, Sedgebrook, Great Gonerby or Belton but includes Baston and Langtoft.
This is a large rural seat in southern Lincolnshire. Grantham and Stamford are at the extreme north and south of the seat, with a large swathe of agricultural countryside between them, dotted with small rural villages. The only other large settlement in the seat is the rapidly growing town of Bourne, situated at the west of the Lincolnshire Fens. Food processing and agriculture are the major industries.
Politically Grantham is associated with Margaret Thatcher, who grew up in the town, however, Grantham itself is probably the most Labour part of the seat. The rural part of the seat and the historical town of Stamford outweigh any Labour votes in Grantham and it is normally a safely Conservative seat. The history of Conservative representation was briefly interrupted between 2007 and 2010 when the sitting Conservative MP, Quentin Davies defected to Labour.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Grantham and Stamford|
|Liberal Democrat||Harrish Bisnauthsing|
|General Election 2010: Grantham and Stamford|
|Liberal Democrat||Harrish Bisnauthsing||11,726||22.2||+5.7|
|Lincolnshire Independents||Mark Horn||929||1.8||+1.8|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Grantham and Stamford|
|Liberal Democrat||Patrick O'Connor||7,838||16.6||+2.2|
|English Democrats||Benedict Brown||774||1.6||N/A|
|Organisation of Free Democrats||John Andrews||264||0.6||N/A|
|General Election 2001: Grantham and Stamford|
|Liberal Democrat||Jane Carr||6,665||14.4||+1.9|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Grantham and Stamford|
|Liberal Democrat||John Sellick||6,612||12.5||N/A|
|Referendum Party||Marilyn Swain||2,721||5.1||N/A|
|ProLife Alliance||R. Clark||314||0.6||N/A|
|Natural Law||R. Harper||115||0.2||N/A|
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in Lincolnshire
- Stamford (UK Parliament list of constituencies)
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Grantham - the home town of former Conservative Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.
- 2010 post-revision map non-metropolitan areas and unitary authorities of England
- "Proposals for Parliamentary Constituency Boundaries in the County of Lincolnshire" (PDF). Provisional Recommendations. Boundary Commission for England. 2000-05-24. Retrieved 2009-04-08.[dead link]
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "G" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- In late June 2007, the incumbent Conservative MP Quentin Davies announced he was defecting to the Labour Party, shortly before Gordon Brown was due to take over the position of Prime Minister from Tony Blair.
- Grantham and Stamford, UKPollingReport
- "UK > England > East Midlands > Grantham & Stamford". Election 2010. BBC. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- BBC Election 2010
- GCSE results in the constituency
- Election Maps
- Ask Aristotle
- Statistical data at DEFRA