|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011)|
Sewell's primary work is on the solution of differential equations. He published "The Numerical Solution of Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations, Second Edition," John Wiley & Sons, 2005 ISBN 0-471-73580-9. His major development effort has been the equation solver PDE2D--A general-purpose PDE solver. Sewell similarly published: "Computational Methods of Linear Algebra, Second Edition," John Wiley 2005.
Views on origins
Sewell is signatory to the Discovery Institute's "A Scientific Dissent from Darwinism" petition. In 2000 Sewell compared the lifelong development of his state of the art software program with Darwin's predictions. After positing modeling the early universe and predicting its evolution, Sewell concludes:
Clearly something extremely improbable has happened here on our planet, with the origin and development of life, and especially with the development of human consciousness and creativity.
This is cited by the Discovery Institute as one of the "Peer-Reviewed & Peer-Edited Scientific Publications Supporting the Theory of Intelligent Design", a claim rejected by critics and the judge in the Dover trial. He also wrote an article in The American Spectator. In these articles he reiterates the view that evolution violates the second law of thermodynamics. Mathematician Jason Rosenhouse wrote a response in The Mathematical Intelligencer entitled "How Anti-evolutionists Abuse Mathematics" and "Does Evolution Have a Thermodynamics Problem?". Physicist Mark Perakh called Sewell's thermodynamics work "depressingly fallacious".
In 2010, Sewell published a collection of essays on origins: In The Beginning And Other Essays on Intelligent Design The Discovery Institute lists as one of the "Peer-Reviewed & Peer-Edited Scientific Publications Supporting the Theory of Intelligent Design" is a postscript to his 1985 book Analysis of a Finite Element Method: PDE/PROTRAN.
- A Scientific Dissent From Darwinism petition
- A Mathematician's View of Evolution The Mathematical Intelligencer
- Peer-Reviewed & Peer-Edited Scientific Publications Supporting the Theory of Intelligent Design, Discovery Institute
- CI1001.4: Intelligent Design and peer review, Index to Creationist Claims, talkorigins Archive, Mark Isaak, December 2005.
- Ruling, Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District 4: whether ID is science
- Evolution's Thermodynamic Failure, Granville Sewell, The American Spectator, December 28, 2005.
- Thermodynamics, Evolution and Creationism, talkorigins Archive
- How Anti-evolutionists Abuse Mathematics, Jason Rosenhouse.
- Does Evolution Have a Thermodynamics Problem?
- Mark Perakh, Sewell's Thermodynamic Failure Talk Reason
- Granville Sewell (2010). In The Beginning and Other Essays on Intelligent Design. Discovery Institute Press, Seattle WA. p. 147. ISBN 0-9790141-4-X.
- Granville Sewell Mathematics Dept. University of Texas El Paso
- PDE2D--A general-purpose PDE solver
- "Computational Methods of Linear Algebra, Second Edition," Granville Sewell, John Wiley & Sons, 2005
- Entropy, Disorder and Life, John Pieper, talkorigins Archive, Copyright © 2000, updated May 24, 2002