Granville Township, Licking County, Ohio
|Granville Township, Licking County, Ohio|
|• Total||26.1 sq mi (67.6 km2)|
|• Land||26.0 sq mi (67.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||981 ft (299 m)|
|• Density||345.4/sq mi (133.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086459|
Granville Township is one of the twenty-five townships of Licking County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 8,994 people in the township, 5,827 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the center of the county, it borders the following townships and city:
- McKean Township - north
- Newton Township - northeast
- Newark Township - east
- Newark - southeast
- Union Township - south
- Harrison Township - southwest corner
- St. Albans Township - west
- Liberty Township - northwest corner
Several populated places are located in Granville Township:
- Part of the city of Newark, the county seat of Licking County, in the southeast
- The village of Granville, in the east and center
- The census-designated place of Granville South, in the southwest
Name and history
Statewide, the only other Granville Township is located in Mercer County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Licking County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.