Graphoanalysis is a form of the pseudoscience graphology in which an analysis of strokes in hand writing of any language or note taking system and its deviation from "textbook standard" claim to make predictions of psychological traits.
Graphoanalysis is the system of handwriting analysis created by Milton N Bunker. He first studied handwriting analysis around 1913. By 1929 he had enough confidence in his system to form the American Grapho Analysis Society. In 1949 he incorporated the International Grapho Analysis Society (now the International Graphoanalysis Society or IGAS). Since 1961, IGAS has been the sole owner of all material, and intellectual property rights relating to Graphoanalysis.
While the roots of Graphoanalysis are in the writings of Abbe Michon, the influence of Crépieux-Jamin, and other European graphologers are visible, very little material published by Bunker, The American Grapho Analysis Society, or The International Graphoanalysis Society has acknowledged these roots.
One study by Crumbaugh, James C & Stockholm, Emilie (1977) claims to validate the technique.
The only Normative project was The IGAS Trait Norm Project published in 1980 which had poor research design and methodology.
- IGAS website Company page
- Michon, l'Abbe Jean Hyppolyte Systéme de Graphologie
- Crépieux-Jamin, J L'A B C de la Grphologie, Paris
- Pulver, Max Symbolik der Handschrift
- Crumbaugh, James C & Stockholm, Emilie (1977) "Validation of Graphoanalysis by 'Global' or 'Holistic' Method." Perceptual And Motor Skills April 1977, 44(2), 403-410)
- Galbraith, Dorothy & Wilson, Warner Reliability of the Graphoanalytic Approach to Handwriting Analysis. Perceptual And Motor Skills 1964, 19(2), 615-618.
- Vestewig, Richard; Santee, Aileen H & Moss, Martin K Validity and Student Acceptance of a Graphoanalytic Approach to Personality. Journal of Personality Assessment, 1976, 40 (6), 592-598.
- Stockholm, Emile (1980) Statistical Data For Basic Traits of Graphoanalysis: IGAS Trait Norm Project. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 1980, 51, 220-222