Grassfield High School
|Grassfield High School|
|2007 Grizzly Trail
Chesapeake, Virginia, 23323
|School type||Public, High School|
|School district||Chesapeake City Public Schools|
Mrs. Carolyn Bernard (2007-2013)Mr. Mike Perez (2013-Current)
|Assistant principals||Mr. Matthew Fulford
Mr. Sylvester Freeman
Mrs. Anna Helmer
Ms. Alana Trott
Mr. Brian Haughinberry 
|Campus||100-acre (0.40 km2) Suburban|
|Color(s)||Red, White, and Navy Blue|
|Athletics conference||Virginia High School League
AAA Eastern Region
|Mascot||Grizzlies, Mr. Griz|
|Feeder schools||Cedar Road Elementary School
Hickory Elementary School
Deep Creek Central Elementary School
Grassfield Elementary School
Great Bridge Middle School
Hickory Middle School
Hugo A. Owens Middle School
Grassfield High School is a public high school located in Chesapeake, Virginia, USA, and is administered by Chesapeake City Public Schools. It was built to ease overcrowding at Deep Creek High School, Great Bridge High School, and Hickory High School. Grassfield, along with Western Branch High School and Oscar Smith High School, features the latest technology available in the school district.
- Fall - Cheerleading, Boys and Girls Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Boys and Girls Golf, Boys and Girls Volleyball
- Winter - Boys and Girls Basketball, Cheerleading, Gymnastics, Boys and Girls Indoor Track, Boys and Girls Swimming and Diving, Wrestling
- Spring - Baseball, Boys and Girls Tennis, Boys and Girls Soccer, Softball, Boys Lacrosse, and Boys and Girls Outdoor Track
This school is one of the most highly recommended schools in Chesapeake. Fact In November 2007 Grassfield held a home run derby to raise money for their athletic teams. It included B.J. Upton, Justin Upton, Ryan Zimmerman, David Wright (baseball), Michael Cuddyer, and Mark Reynolds. The Girls Varsity Volleyball team made school history in their fall 2008 season by winning both the regular season and district tournament titles, and receiving the first district championship banner in the gym.
The football team is coached by Martin Asprey; the records for the seasons since the inaugural year are listed below:
2007 - 1-9
2008 - 7-4
2009 - 9-3
2010 - 8-3
2011 - 10-2
2012 - 8-3
2013 - 9-3
The baseball team is coached by Coach Spedden. For the first couple of years under Coach Todd, the baseball team had success. Their most recent successful year was last year when they went 20-7. They were also the district champions of the Southeastern District. After winning the district championship against Western Branch, they lost to Kellam in the regional tournament 4-3. The previous manager, Shaun Todd, was removed from coaching for numerous coaching incidents with other players.
In February 2009 the Grassfield wrestling team secured 1st place for the regular season and won Southeastern District tournament title. During February, they finished 2nd in the Eastern Regional Tournament and 4th at the AAA state tournament. In 2009, the Grizzlies had 2 state champions: Caleb Richardson (now attending Cox High School starting the 2009-2010 school year) in the 103 lb (47 kg) class (The Grizzlies' 1st male state champion) and Andrew Clement in the 171 lb (78 kg) class.
Every year they get beaten by the Hickory Hawks because they are beast.
2009 District Champions, 2009 Regional Champions, 2009 4th at State in AAA. 2010 District Champions, 2010 Regional Champions, 2010 6th at State in AAA. 2011 2nd in District, 2011 Regional Champions, 2011 5th at State in AAA. 2012 District Champions, 2012 2nd in Region, 3rd in state in AAA.
The Grassfield Lacrosse Club plays for Grassfield High School in the Hampton Roads Lacrosse section. Currently, only Highschool Boys play for the school. The club has a varsity and a junior varsity team. The Grizzlies Varsity were very successful in their league. They plaid in the finals 2012, 2013, and 2014 and became Champions in 2013 and 2014!
In its first year, the Grassfield High School Drama Department collected many awards for its performances. Some awards include Second place at the state level for VHSL Theatre competition, best actor awards and best ensemble from the Greek play "Medea". In their second year, The Grassfield Theater Company travelled to the VTA and got second place in the state, first in districts regionals and state for VHSL, winning two best actor awards and first place overall for their production of John Steinbeck's The Pearl. Grassfield has consistently held one of the top theatre departments in the region, winning 1st place in the VHSL Southeast District competition five years consecutively.
The Varsity Singers of Grassfield High School received a rating of superior in their inaugural year, and are a participants in various other performances in Chesapeake and Southeastern Virginia. All three of Grassfield High School's choirs, the Varsity Singers, Chamber Singers, and Freshmen Choir all received a rating of superior in their second year of existence.
In their inaugural year, both the Grassfield High School Freshman and Upperclassmen Concert bands received superior ratings at VBODA District IV band festival. In their second year, the Freshman and Upperclassmen Concert bands received ratings of excellent, and the newly created Symphonic Band received a Superior rating. This gave Grassfield the title of Virginia All-State honors band, for receiving Superior ratings for their Marching and top-ranked Concert bands. 
In Grassfield's first year, the Marching Grizzlies attended several competitions in Southeastern Virginia, winning awards for drum majors, color guard, and percussion. They also received a rating of Excellent at the VBODA State Marching Festival. In their second year, the Marching Grizzlies won numerous awards, including second place in class AAA at the JMU Parade of Champions and first place overall at the Denbigh High School Patriot Invitational. In 2011, the marching grizzlies went on to Towson, Maryland to compete in the Bands Of America competition held there. the following year they competed in the Bands of America Super regional held in Atlanta, Georgia. They received several overall awards at other competitions, and a rating of Superior at the VBODA State Marching Festival.
The marching grizzlies are under the direction of Mr. Kevin Hall and Mrs. Kate Holm. Mr. Hall and Mrs. Holm serve as head directors for the band programs.
Taking Flight (2007)
From Russia With Love (2008)
A Little Bit of Night Music (2009)
Stairway to Heaven (2010)
Dark London (2011)
Simple Gifts (2013)
Grassfield High School just won the 2012 track state championship with, Austin Johnson, Andrew Hines, Isiah Harper, and Trey Hollyway. Andrew Hines was also the 2013 Virginia State Champion for the shot put. Hines' performance at the New Balance Nationals in Greensboro, NC, earned him the title of All-American, as he took 5th place in the shot put event.
- "Grassfield High School 2007–2008 Year". Chesapeake Public Schools. 2008-04-08. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- Cupitt, Tom (Spring 2007). "Grassfield High School on Target" (.PDF). CPSchools.com. Retrieved 2009-02-26.
- Rita Frankenberry (2006-09-01). "What makes Grassfield High School cool?". HamptonRoads.com. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- "Classification: 6A South". Virginia High School League. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- The Virginian-Pilot (2007-11-04). "Homegrown stars a hit at home run derby". HamptonRoads.com. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- JOHN STREIT (2008-11-04). "Girls volleyball: Grassfield, Landstown cruise into region semis". HamptonRoads.com. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- The Virginian-Pilot (2009-02-07). "Wrestling: Grassfield ends Great Bridge's Southeastern reign". HamptonRoads.com. Retrieved 2009-03-27.
- "Congrats to our 2009 Grizzly Wrestling Team". Chesapeake Public Schools. Retrieved 2009-03-27.
- Christy Barritt (2008-04-11). "Grassfield High drama places 2nd in the state". HamptonRoads.com. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- "2009 Theatre State Competition". Chesapeake Public Schools. Retrieved 2009-03-27.
- "A Note from the Director". Chesapeake Public Schools. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- "Concert Bands". Grassfield High School Bands. Retrieved 2009-02-24.[dead link]