Gravity (Sara Bareilles song)
|Single by Sara Bareilles|
|from the album Little Voice|
|Released||February 3, 2009 (U.S.)|
|Sara Bareilles singles chronology|
"Gravity" is a song performed by Sara Bareilles, released the third single from her major-label debut album Little Voice (2007). Written by Bareilles, the track was produced by Eric Rosse. Its music video was released on February 3, 2009. The song was originally on her first album Careful Confessions, but was later included on Little Voice.
Chris Klimek of The Washington Post calls the song "haunting" and states that "Gravity is strong evidence that Bareilles's songcraft may yet warrant the stardom she's attained." Shirley Brinkley writes for The Virginian-Pilot that this is her favorite song, and that "It speaks to the paradoxes and complexity of relationships". Michael Menachem of Billboard writes, "[T]his melodic, introspective ballad is Bareilles' finest moment." The Hollywood Reporter mentioned the song in their review of one her concerts, stating it was the "night's bravest and most powerful performance" when "she brilliantly sang fan favorite Gravity".  Mark Savage for BBC News has called it a "tearjerking ballad" and characterized it as Bareilles' calling card.
As a promotional project to support her single "Gravity", Sara Bareilles released a music video for the track. She is shot in a single video sequence strolling while delivering the ballad song in the middle of the street while people are walking behind her bringing lights, globe miniatures, and replicas of other planets representing the effects of gravity.
British singer Louise Dearman covered the song on her second album Here Comes The Sun.
Kelly Clarkson covered the song in Durham, North Carolina during her Stronger World Tour, in which she praised Bareilles's voice and lyrics. Bareilles responding the following day by tweeting: “Holy pipes, Batman! Kelly Clarkson sang Gravity. Whoah. Gurrrl. Can. Sang. So Cool!” 
Mary Joyner performed this song for her audition on the seventh season of America's Got Talent.
Brittany Cairns performed this song for her blind audition on the first season of The Voice - Australia
A contestant on the X Factor UK performed a cover of the song during series 11.
The song is frequently used in fan YouTube videos with romantic couples from TV shows or movies.
A shipping video featuring a clip montage of the characters Annie and Jeff set to "Gravity" was made by a Community (TV series) fan in November 2009, halfway through the first season of the show. The video inspired show creator Dan Harmon and he included a similar sequence of clips of the two characters in the second season episode "Paradigms of Human Memory." Dan Harmon paid for the rights to the song himself. The clips of Annie and Jeff were immediately followed by clips of the characters Pierce and Abed again set to "Gravity," as a parody to show how easy it is make any set of characters appear romantically interested in one another.
|South Korea International Singles (Gaon)||44|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||25|
- http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-16407518.html The Washington Post May 1, 2008
- The Virginian-Pilot (Norfolk, VA)November 11, 2010
- Menachem, Michael (March 7, 2009). "Gravity: Sara Bareilles", Billboard 121 (9): 38. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- "Sara Bareilles - Concert Review". The Hollywood Reporter. 2010-10-14. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Savage, Mark (2008-06-17). "Entertainment | Sara Bareilles' fairytale success". BBC News. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "Sara Bareilles - Gravity". YouTube.
- "Music Online Records : Videos Online : Videos Grátis : Videos de Música". Musiconline.com.br. 1999-02-22. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- Thursday March 1, 2012 9:12 AM By Glenn Gamboa (2012-03-01). "'American Idol' 11: Top 13 guys power rankings". Newsday.com. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- "Gravity (Jeff/Annie)". YouTube. VeritasProductions. Nov 14, 2009. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- https://twitter.com/danharmon/status/5744853878. Missing or empty
- "South Korea Gaon International Chart (Week: February 12, 2012 to February 18, 2012)". Gaon Chart. January 5, 2013. Retrieved January 5, 2013.
- "Charts.org.nz – Sara Bareilles – Gravity". Top 40 Singles.