||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (May 2014)|
|Predecessor(s)||Gravity Technologies, Reignsoft|
|Number of locations||San Jose|
|Products||RECO for e-commerce, IMPRESS for VOD, IPTV and AD•APT for Ad networks |
|Total assets||US$ 600,000 (Dec, 2009) US$ 2 million (September, 2011) |
|Owner(s)||Hungarian institutional strategic investors, Wojciech Uzdelewicz, Founders|
The Netflix Prize was an open competition for the best collaborative filtering algorithm to predict user ratings for films, based on previous ratings. The prize would be awarded to the team achieving over 10% improvement over Netflix's own Cinematch algorithm.
The team "Gravity" was the front runner during January—May 2007.
The leading position was achieved again in October 2007 in collaboration with the team "Dinosaur Planet" under the name "When Gravity and Dinosaurs Unite".
In January 2009, the two teams founded "Grand Prize Team" to initiate even wider collaboration, that resulted in being one of the leading teams throughout 2009.
On July 25, 2009 the team "The Ensemble", a merger of the teams "Grand Prize Team" and "Opera Solutions and Vandelay United", achieved a 10.10% improvement over Cinematch on the Quiz set.
On September 18, 2009, Netflix announced team "BellKor's Pragmatic Chaos" as the prize winner, and the prize was awarded to the team in a ceremony on September 21, 2009. "The Ensemble" team had in fact succeeded to match the winning "BellKor" team's result, but since "BellKor" submitted their results 20 minutes earlier, the rules award the prize to them.
Awards and recognition
- Winner of the first edition of the "Strands $100K Call for Recommender Start-ups" (October 24, 2008)
- Selected among "Europe's Top 25 Most Innovative Start-ups" at Eurecan European Venture Contest 2009 (EEVC). (December, 2009)
- Winner of the International Classified Media Association's "Show Me the Money" prize at the 2012 ICMA Innovation Award.
Gravity raised in the first round over US$ 600.000. The group of investors include Hungarian institutional strategic investors and Wojciech Uzdelewicz, an all-star analyst at Wall Street according to hedge funds, former Managing Director of Duquesque Capital.
Since the first round investment, Gravity won customers in US, Canada, UK, Russia, Italy, Germany, Portugal, Israel, Czech Republic, Poland and Saudi-Arabia.
- "Gravity - Rock Solid Recommendations: among Europe’s Top 25 Most Innovative Start-ups, completes first financing round".
- "Gravity - Rock Solid Recommendations completes second financing round".
- Hafner, Katie (June 4, 2007). "Netflix Prize Still Awaits a Movie Seer". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-03-07.
- "The Ensemble". 2009-07-25.
- "Grand Prize awarded to team BellKor’s Pragmatic Chaos". Netflix Prize Forum. 2009-09-21.
- Steve Lohr (2009-09-21). "A $1 Million Research Bargain for Netflix, and Maybe a Model for Others". New York Times.
- "Mátrixfaktorizáció egymillió dollárért". Index. 2009-08-07.
- Takács, G. B.; Pilászy, I. N.; Németh, B. N.; Tikk, D. (2007). "Major components of the gravity recommendation system". ACM SIGKDD Explorations Newsletter 9 (2): 80. doi:10.1145/1345448.1345466.
- Gábor Takács; István Pilászy, Bottyán Németh, Domonkos Tikk (2007), "On the Gravity Recommendation System" (PDF), in Gábor Takács and István Pilászy and Bottyán Németh and Domonkos Tikk, Proc. KDD Cup Workshop at SIGKDD, San Jose, California, pp. 22–30, retrieved 2010-04-15
- US patent 8676736, Pilaszy, et al., "Recommender systems and methods using modified alternating least squares algorithm", issued 2014-03-18
- Achim Brueck (2008-07-03). "Konzeptsteckbrief 5: IMPRESS - Instant Entertainment von Reignsoft (Ungarn)".
- "Deutsche Telekom Interactive TV Award". 2010-03-07.
- "ACM Recommender Systems 2008 - Home". Recsys.acm.org. 2008-10-23. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "Strands Blog " Instant personalized TV entertainment developer, Gravity R&D, winner of the Strands $100k Call for Recommender Start-Ups". Blog.strands.com. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "Europe Unlimited". E-unlimited.com. 1999-12-04. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "ICMA Innovation Award 2012". ICMA. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- "Wojtek Uzdelewicz, Managing Director of Duquesque Capital".
- "Netflix Prize Runner-up unveils programming recommendations technology". ITVT. 2010-04-13.