Gray Court, South Carolina
|Gray Court, South Carolina|
Location of Gray Court, South Carolina
|• Total||1.9 sq mi (4.8 km2)|
|• Land||1.9 sq mi (4.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||804 ft (245 m)|
|• Density||551.0/sq mi (212.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1245816|
Gray Court was incorporated as a town in 1899.
Gray Court is located at  The town lies between the cities of Fountain Inn and Laurens, South Carolina along highway 14 and 385. Its closest neighbor is the tiny village of Owings, which lies about one mile to the North.(34.608563, -82.114189).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.9 square miles (4.9 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,021 people, 371 households, and 270 families residing in the town. The population density was 551.0 people per square mile (213.1/km²). There were 398 housing units at an average density of 214.8 per square mile (83.1/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 37.81% White, 54.65% African American, 0.20% Native American, 0.10% Asian, 6.66% from other races, and 0.59% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 9.50% of the population.
There were 371 households out of which 31.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.8% were married couples living together, 21.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.2% were non-families. 24.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.75 and the average family size was 3.15.
In the town the population was spread out with 26.9% under the age of 18, 10.3% from 18 to 24, 28.4% from 25 to 44, 22.2% from 45 to 64, and 12.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 98.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.3 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $31,146, and the median income for a family was $34,545. Males had a median income of $22,639 versus $19,648 for females. The per capita income for the town was $13,066. About 16.4% of families and 20.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29.8% of those under age 18 and 16.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Information about Gray Court from Laurens County
- ACCESS 15 Laurens County Public, educational, and government access (PEG) cable tv channel
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Communities". Laurens County Chamber of Commerce. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.