February 10, 1998 |
Colonial Heights, Virginia
|2014 K&N Pro Series East|
|Current team||NTS Motorsports|
|Crew Chief||Doug Howe|
|Former teams||Steve Urvan|
|Best finish||7th in 2013|
|Finished last season||2013|
|NASCAR Camping World Truck Series career|
|8 race(s) run over 1 year(s)|
|Truck no., team||No. 20 (NTS Motorsports)|
|First race||2014 Kroger 250 (Martinsville)|
|Last race||2014 Kroger 200 (Martinsville)|
|Statistics current as of October 25, 2014.|
Gray Gaulding (born February 10, 1998) is an American stock car racing driver. He currently drives the No. 20 Chevrolet for NTS Motorsports in the K&N Pro Series East, while driving the No. 20 Silverado for the team in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series on a part-time basis.
Gaulding began racing motorbikes at age 4, and raced cars five years later. When he was 10, Gaulding received two Bandolero cars, and won in his first Bandolero race. At age 12, Gaulding was the youngest driver in a NASCAR Legends Division, and won a Legends car national championship, gaining sponsorship from firearm distributor GunBroker.com. Also at age 12, Gaulding defeated NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Kevin Harvick at Harvick's karting track, which prompted Harvick to sign Gaulding to Kevin Harvick Incorporated's driver development program. At 13, Gaulding became the youngest Super late model race winner, and was also the youngest driver to win the Pro All Stars Series (PASS) Rookie of the Year Award. After KHI shut down in 2011, he was released from the team's driver development program. When he was 14, Gaulding was volunteering at the Victory Junction Gang Camp when he agreed to five one-year contracts with Krispy Kreme as a sponsor.
In 2013, Gaulding ran the No. 20 Krispy Kreme Toyota in both the K&N Pro Series East and West. He won the pole position at Richmond International Raceway at 15 years, 2 months, 15 days, becoming the youngest pole-sitter in NASCAR history, more than four months younger than Cole Custer, the previous record holder. In the season-ending Pro Series West race at Phoenix International Raceway, Gaulding turned Custer on the final lap to win, becoming the youngest race winner in K&N series history at 15 years, 8 months and 30 days. During the year, Gaulding was named to the NASCAR Next program, which highlights NASCAR's future stars. In 2014, Gaulding was hired by NTS Motorsports to run full-time in the K&N East series.
Gaulding joined NTS Motorsports in the No. 20, and will run eight races in the 2014 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series season; he made his Truck Series debut at Martinsville Speedway. On lap 243, Gaulding was running three-wide, and was turned around. Gaulding finished 19th.
Career motorsports results
|Season||Series||Team||Races||Wins||Top 5s||Top 10s||Poles||Points||Position|
|2013||NASCAR K&N Pro Series West||Steve Urvan||3||1||1||2||1||109||27th|
|NASCAR K&N Pro Series East||Steve Urvan||14||0||3||8||1||456||8th|
|2014||NASCAR K&N Pro Series East||NTS Motorsports||14||0||3||7||1||484*||5th*|
|NASCAR K&N Pro Series West||NTS Motorsports||1||0||0||0||0||15*||44th*|
|NASCAR Camping World Truck Series||NTS Motorsports||6||0||1||1||0||158*||27th*|
(key) (Bold - Pole position awarded by qualifying time. Italics - Pole position earned by points standings or practice time. * – Most laps led.)
Camping World Truck Series
|NASCAR Camping World Truck Series results|
* Season in progress
1 Ineligible for series points
- Henigan, Dennis (August 13, 2010). "Gray Gaulding, 12-Year-Old Race Car Driver, Sponsored By Gun Web Site (VIDEO)". The Huffington Post. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Pockrass, Bob (April 27, 2012). "Remember this name: Gray Gaulding". Sporting News. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- O'Sullivan, Tim (September 21, 2013). "Teenager Gaulding growing up fast on NASCAR tracks". Concord Monitor. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Gaulding to Compete in K&N Pro Series". Motor Racing Network. January 7, 2013. Retrieved March 6, 2014.
- Spencer, Lee (January 20, 2014). "Custer, turning 16 this week, to run limited Truck schedule". Foxsports.com. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- Hardin, Ed (February 7, 2014). "Gaulding, 15, ready to go racing". News & Record. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Gray Gaulding". NTS Motorsports. March 2014. Retrieved 2014-09-20.
- "Gaulding Set to Make Truck Series Debut". Motor Racing Network. February 7, 2014. Retrieved April 6, 2014.
- "Gaulding Teams With Newberry At NTS". NASCAR Home Tracks. February 7, 2014. Retrieved April 6, 2014.
- Eberly, Brian (March 26, 2014). "GRAY GAULDING TO MAKE TRUCK SERIES DEBUT THIS WEEKEND AT MARTINSVILLE". Motor Racing Digest. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Gray Gaulding’s Debut gets Turned Around late in the Kroger 250". Catchfence. March 31, 2014. Retrieved April 1, 2014.