Grays railway station
Main building, London-bound side
Location of Grays in Essex
|Number of platforms||3|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portal
UK Railways portalCoordinates:
It was opened in 1854 as part of the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. Until the early 1900s the station was known as 'Grays Thurrock'. In February 2005, the station environment was refurbished, in particular the subway linking the platforms, and the surrounding highway infrastructure.
In January 2006 the footbridge linking Grays High Street at either side of the railway was declared unsafe and closed due to structural problems with the supports and bracing, which had to be temporarily supported with scaffolding underneath the stair flights. A hoarding was subsequently erected on this scaffolding. The footbridge reopened at the beginning of May 2006. Works to replace the stair flights have been completed. Although located at the end of the platforms, there is no station access at this point.
During 2008 and 2009 the four-car bay platform was extended to hold eight-car trains. From 2011 to 2012 the through platforms were extended to receive 12-car trains.
Ticket barriers are in operation.
Passenger train services are provided by c2c.
Off-peak service, in trains per hour, is:
- 4 to Fenchurch Street railway station:
- 2 to Southend Central.
It is east of the junction between the branch to Ockendon and the route via Rainham.
Local Bus Routes 22, 22A, 25, 33, 44, 66, 73, 73A, 83, 88, 100, 100X, 200, 200X, 201, 265, 268, 269, 374 all serve the station.
- "London and South East" (PDF). National Rail Enquiries. National Rail. September 2006. Archived from the original (PDF) on 6 March 2009.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- "Request for Mayoral Decision – MD457. Title: January 2010 Fare Changes" (PDF). Greater London Authority.
- "New Timetable Changes Postponement". c2c. Retrieved 2008-10-26.[dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Grays railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
London, Tilbury & Southend Line