December 27, 1998 |
Clanton, Alabama, U.S.A.
Life and career
Russell was born in Clanton, Alabama, the son of Crystal and Jerry Russell, who have a Christian music ministry. He attends public high school in Clanton at Chilton County High School, home of the Tigers. 
His acting career began at the age of six when he appeared as Cowboy Grayson in a series of television commercials for a local car dealership. Other commercials include appearances in a regional McDonald’s spot and a Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee commercial.
Russell’s film career began with an open casting call for a role in Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. His mother, Crystal Russell, has stated that Grayson auditioned to gain some experience with the process, and the family was surprised to learn that he would be playing Texas Ranger Bobby, the son of racecar driver Ricky Bobby (played by Will Ferrell).
The Rainbow Tribe, Russell’s second movie was based on a true story and was filmed in California in 2007. The independent film won Best Picture at the 2008 The Feel Good Film Festival founded by Kristen Ridgway Flores in Los Angeles, but was released direct-to-video in 2011.
In 2010, Russell appeared in the film adaptation of author Jeff Kinney's Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Russell played Fregley, an awkward and unpopular classmate of Greg Heffley. He reprised the role in the sequels, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules (2011) and Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days (2012).
Russell plays an autistic baseball savant named Rafer in the 2013 feature film Season of Miracles, a role for which fans and critics have acknowledged his broader acting range.
|2006||Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby||Texas Ranger Bobby|
|2010||The Rainbow Tribe||Calvin|
|Diary of a Wimpy Kid||Fregley Breck|
|2011||Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules|
|2012||Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days|
|2013||Season of Miracles||Rafer|
|2011||Marley & Me: The Puppy Years||Marley's voice|
|2009||I'm in the Band||Martin|
|2011||R.L. Stine's The Haunting Hour||Walt|
- Carlton, Bob (2010-03-21). "Clanton's Grayson Russell fits in feature films amid regular kid activities". The Birmingham News. Retrieved 2011-05-04.
- Asilo, Rito (2011-04-29). "Growing Pains". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2011-05-04.
- "Actors to greet fans". The Columbus Dispatch. 2011-04-16. Retrieved 2011-05-04.
- Mims, Scott (2011-03-28). "'Wimpy Kid' movie No. 1 at box office". The Clanton Advertiser. Retrieved 2011-05-04.
- Wagner, Neal (2011-03-25). "Movie star celebrates premiere in Alabaster". The Shelby County Reporter. Retrieved 2011-05-04.
- "Film starring local opens Friday". The Clanton Advertiser. 2010-03-16. Retrieved 2011-05-04.
- "Feel Good Film Festival 2008". 2008. Retrieved 2011-05-04.
- Morris, Theadoris (2011-02-09). "New film starring Grayson Russell out on DVD". The Clanton Advertiser. Retrieved 2011-05-04.
- Marley & Me: The Puppy Years