Great Canadian Gaming
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2010)|
|Public (TSX: GC)|
|Headquarters||Richmond, British Columbia|
|Rod N. Baker|
|Revenue||48.8 million CAD (2014)|
Number of employees
The Great Canadian Gaming Corporation operates gaming facilities in Canada and the United States. The company's 17 facilities include 10 casinos, 4 horse racing tracks including 3 harness racing tracks and 1 thoroughbred track, and 3 community gaming centres in locations across British Columbia, Ontario, Nova Scotia, and Washington state. The company's headquarters is located in Richmond, British Columbia.
- 13 Casinos
- 1 Thoroughbred Racetrack offering Slot Machines
- 2 Standardbred Racetracks with 2 offering Slot Machines
- 1 Standardbred Racetrack offering both Slot Machines and Table Games
- 1 Four Diamond Hotel Resort and Conference Centre that offers two hotels
- 2 Show Theatres with over 1,000 seats each
- And various associated hospitality facilities, including over 30 food and beverage outlets
Great Canadian Casino Company Ltd. was formed and began operating charity casinos in a variety of locations, training staff on-site, and operating the PNE’s casino and midway games in 1982. In 1986, Great Canadian proudly opened its first permanent location, The Casino at the Holiday Inn on Broadway in Vancouver, as well as Nanaimo Casino, the first permanent casino on Vancouver Island. Then, in 1987, Great Canadian hired its first employees May 1, 1987. During this year, the British Columbia Gaming Commission was formed, the Red Lion Casino opened in Victoria, as did the Richmond Casino and Langley Casino.
In 1992, Mayfair Casino was opened. Then, in 1994 The Renaissance Casino in Vancouver opened, and the Guildford Casino closed, transferring its license to The Newton Casino. In 1997, Gaming in British Columbia was expanded to include longer hours, a wider variety of table games, and, for the first time, slot machines. Great Canadian Gaming Corporation was created on March 15, 1997, and Great Canadian Casinos Inc. was incorporated July 9, 1997. In 1998, British Columbia Lottery Corporation assumed oversight of all casinos in the province.
In 2001, Great Canadian opened two new properties in British Columbia: View Royal Casino in Victoria and Coquitlam Casino in Coquitlam. Then, in 2004, Great Canadian was listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange, and also opened its doors to River Rock Casino Resort in Richmond. The Company also entered the horseracing industry, acquiring Hastings Racecourse in Vancouver. Great Canadian also procured Bear Mountain Community Gaming Centre in Dawson Creek and gained 100% control of Great American Gaming Corporation and their 4 casinos in Tukwila, Everett, Kent, and Lakewood, in Washington State.
In 2005, Great Canadian expanded across the country, acquiring Casino Nova Scotia Halifax and Sydney, and two racetracks in Ontario, Georgian Downs and Flamboro Downs, as well as Fraser Downs Racetrack & Casino in Cloverdale. River Rock Casino Resort became the first flagship property of Great Canadian Gaming Corporation, adding a Four-Diamond, AAA-rated hotel with two towers, 204 suites, and a 1,000-seat show theatre. The Coquitlam Casino completed a significant redevelopment, becoming Boulevard Casino, which tripled it in size. In 2006, Bear Mountain Community Gaming Centre relocated to a new location and became Chances Dawson Creek Community Gaming Centre. Fraser Downs Racetrack & Casino also added table games to its gaming options.
In 2008, Great Canadian acquired Haney BingoPlex in Maple Ridge, BC, and also completed the redevelopment of Hastings Racecourse, adding a 600-slot permanent gaming facility. In 2009, River Rock Casino Resort welcomed the Canada Line, Vancouver’s newest mass transit system, that delivered 15,000 extra visitors a week to River Rock. As well, View Royal Casino expanded, adding a parkade and additional gaming space.
In 2010, Haney Bingo Plex expanded with the addition of 100 slot machines, becoming Maple Ridge Community Gaming Centre. In addition, Casino Nanaimo rebranded and renovated their 15,000-square-foot gaming space. Then, in 2011, River Rock Casino Resort added a third, four-diamond, hotel tower – adding 196 hotel rooms – and Great Canadian also acquired Chilliwack Bingo.
In 2012, Fraser Downs Racetrack & Casino opened their Poker Room, and Chilliwack Bingo relocated to a new location and became Chances Chilliwack. Then, in 2013 Maple Ridge Community Gaming Centre relocated to Chances Maple Ridge. On December 20, 2013 Hard Rock Casino Vancouver opened its doors, following a multi-million dollar renovation and rebranding of the Boulevard Casino.
Donated over $36.5 million to municipalities located in its Western Canada properties in 2013/2014 fiscal year. The properties that have given the most money to municipalities since opening are:
- Chances Dawson Creek: $30,500,201.32
- Casino Nanaimo: $39,447,242.41
- Hard Rock Casino Vancouver: $95,337,654.99
- River Rock Casino Resort: $141,155,886.60
- View Royal Casino: $51,851,593.60
Direct Community Support
Direct Community Support is provided through our PROUD program, which supports a number of charitable and community organizations through financial, in-kind and volunteer opportunities. Charities and community organizations supported include:
- Chances Dawson Creek: ALS, Dawson Creek Fall Fair and Exhibition, Dawson Creek Hospital Foundation, South Peace Community Resources Society.
- Fraser Downs Racetrack & Casino: Sophie's Place - Centre for Child Development, Greener Pastures, Surrey Food Bank, United Way, Langley Memorial Hospital Foundation.
- Hastings Racecourse: Hastings Park Childcare Centre, legacy projects in the Hastings-Sunrise community.
- Hard Rock Casino Vancouver: SHARE Family and Community Services, Eagle Ridge Hospital Foundation, Crossroads Hospice, Variety, the Children's Charity, Rotary Club of Coquitlam Sunrise.
- River Rock Casino Resort: Richmond Family Place, BC Children's Hospital, Richmond Hospital Foundation, Touchstone Family Association and Richmond Centre for Disability.
- Casino Nanaimo: Loaves and Fishes Food Bank, Nanaimo District Hospital Foundation, Nanaimo Hospice Society and Haven Society.
- View Royal Casino: CanAssist Centre at UVIC, Heart and Stroke Foundation of BC and Yukon, Canadian Cancer Society, Goldstream Food Bank and Jeenece Place, and Children's Health Foundation of Vancouver Island.
Community Groups Funded
The number of community groups funded in 2013/2014 through Community Gaming Grants were:
- 28 in Dawson Creek
- 75 in Chilliwack
- 92 in Coquitlam
- 83 in Maple Ridge
- 139 in Nanaimo
- 142 in Richmond
- 358 in Greater Victoria
- 690 in Vancouver
- River Rock Casino Resort
- Hard Rock Casino Vancouver (formerly Boulevard Casino)
- Hastings Racecourse
- Fraser Downs Racetrack and Casino
- View Royal Casino
- Casino Nanaimo
- Chances Chilliwack
- Chances Dawson Creek
- Chances Maple Ridge (formerly Haney Bingo Plex)
- Flamboro Downs
- Georgian Downs
- Casino Nova Scotia
- Great American Casinos
- Casino Everett
- Casino Kent
- Casino Lakewood
- Casino Tukwila
- "Great Canadian Gaming Summary". Retrieved 2014-07-15.
- "Great Canadian Gaming Corp (GC:Toronto) Snapshot". Retrieved 2014-07-15.