Great Neck North Middle School
|Great Neck North Middle School|
|Great Neck, New York, USA|
|Type||Public Middle school|
|Assistant Principal(s)||Samantha Tarantola and Jason Mach|
Richard S. Sherman Great Neck North Middle School or simply "North Middle" is a junior high school, comprising grades 6 through 8. It is located on 77 Polo Road in Great Neck as part of the Great Neck School District. It is located in Great Neck Village.
The student body in the 2007-2008 school year consisted of:
- 0 American Indian or Alaska Native students or 0% of the student body
- 8 Black or African American students or 1% of the student body
- 39 Hispanic or Latino students or 7% of the student body
- 60 Asian or Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander students or 10% of the student body
- 491 White students or 82% of the student body
- 0 Multiracial students or 0% of the student body
- Address: 77 Polo Road Great Neck, New York 11023
- Year-round schedule: yes
- Magnet school: yes
- Charter school: yes
- Coeducational: yes
- Mascot: a "B" on fire
- School colors: blue and orange
- School district: Great Neck Union Free School District
- Newspaper name: Northern Lights
- Yearbook name: Polaris
Great Neck North has been considered as one of the hundred top schools in the nation for the past several years. Every grade is split up into two (or three) teams, with the sixth grade teams called the Adventure and Phoenix, the seventh grade teams SWIS 1, SWIS 2 and SWIS 3, and the eighth grade teams Blue and Orange (the school colors). Every student is required in sixth grade to have five "team" subjects, English, Reading, Science, Social Studies and Math, a language subject, a music subject, lunch, physical education, a term of sewing, cooking, art and 1/2 a term of music and computers. The seventh and eighth graders do the same except for Reading, instead they get a period called "Flex".
Students from surrounding elementary schools such as EM Baker, JFK, Saddle Rock and others typically enter this school for their three years in middle school (grades six through eight), before advancing to the high school, North High, which is located immediately next to the middle school.
There are after school clubs there too, ranging from music clubs (chamber music and orchestra), the musical and One-Acts, Debate Team, Mock Trial, School Newspaper, Yearbook Committee, Asian Club to Dance and Yoga Clubs.
- Nikki Blonsky, actress who starred as Tracy Turnblad in the 2007 film version of Hairspray
- Andy Kaufman, comedian / actor, known for his role as Latka Gravas in Taxi.
- Minae Mizumura, novelist, essayist, critic, based in Tokyo, Japan. Author of A Real Novel.
- Adam Cantar: playing Mark in RENT.
- Sarah and Emily Hughes, Olympic-medal winning ice skaters.